1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you guys think!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bradlamby, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Bradlamby

Bradlamby Junior Member

I'm looking in to a truck. Its an 1987 F 150 but its not a 4x4, and they guys has a poszy rear end for it. would i still be able to plow with it if i put the poszy on. Theres an old Fisher plow i saw for sale real cheep and i could get that too, The truck is a 4 speed manual, in line 6 its rebuilt. I can get it for $250.00. what do you think i should do? Let me know!!

2. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

I don't think you would be able to plow very much at all. Poszy traction won't replace 4x4. What do you plan on plowing?

3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

YOu should be able to plow real light snow falls,but anything deep or wet and you are asking for trouble.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Keep a cell phone and number to a tow truck with you at all times.

5. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I don't know man. With the kind of snow we can get in these parts (MN/WI) I don't know if you'd be able to push much. If you get a wet heavy snowfall what are you going to do for your customers if you can't clear them out? That's assuming this isn't just for personal use.

But I will say this, if that F150 is any decent shape at all, heck for $250 buy it and resell it for $500-$750 or whatever you can get for it. I just sold a 1980 Ford F250 with 4 speed stick & inline 6 with an early 1980's Western plow for $1000. The truck body and plow were in tough shape but motor was still strong, had 77,000 some odd miles on it.

Buck

6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I would pass.

7. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

i would take a BIG PASS on that one

8. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

You could not never get enough weight in there and carry it safely to plow effectively with any moderate to serious amount of snow with that 2wd F150 not to mention front end would be too soft too. I would pass too. Look for at least a 3/4 ton if you want to try the 2wd thing with some serious ballast.

9. Bradlamby

Bradlamby Junior Member

OK thanks Guys for all your help. I think im going to Get the trcuk and ways and that will give me something to drive this winter. Im new to plowing. I got in to it becuse when i was younger i would all was ride along with one of my dads friends that had 3 lot and then some drive ways and i thought it was the coolest thing. And im only 18 so i could use an old pick up to have fun with. :) But thanks for all you input.

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'm just wondering - Why ask anybody's opinion in the first place?

11. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

Bradlanby--

I Think YOU should BUY IT--& Get the Old FISHER Also! & Get It ON Your FORD--& Put a Lot of Weight in the Body! behind the Rear Wheel wells--& Give SNOW Plowing your Best SHOT!--& a Set of CHAINS ON the REAR wouldn*t Hurt! & Don*t Take a FULL Blade of SNOW!--Half is Enough! I Asume? Your Plowing Your DADs Driveway?-- & at 16 YOU will have a BALL!--& What? YOU Lean? & Their Will be Many Things?--& when? YOU DO get a 4X4?? Look Out SNOW! What YOU will Lean NO ONE could Ever TEACH YOU! & YEH! Your Gonna Get STUCK!--WE All DO!--Ole JIM--

12. jeffwoehrle

jeffwoehrle Member

I say buy it and have a ball. If you are just plowing for friends and family I wouldn't be too worried.

When I was 16 half the fun was getting stuck and unstuck.

There was very little rust on my tow chain in those days...