1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by bmales11, Jan 3, 2013.

1. bmales11

bmales11 Junior Member

Alright so I just picked up 2 decent sized gas stations on the same street. What do you guys think as far as prices per push and to sand/salt. He only wants it done when he calls so i try to charge accordingly.

lot 1.jpg

lot 2.jpg

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If I plow when he calls, looks like around 150 a push.He'll only call you when there's 6 or more inches on the ground. My offer is 75 a push and it goes into my rotation for plowing.

3. bmales11

bmales11 Junior Member

Exactly what I just charged him this past weekend without salt. If he set up a trigger or something I'd be a little better on price. Thanks for your input

4. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Don't forget to add on $10 for each fill tank lid riser.

5. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

that's the truth

Certainly add something if you need to plow around the riser. We had a truck hit one a few years ago and it cracked the fill spout under it. Bottom line cost to repair was $1500 and some change.

Gas stations are a pain in the butt in most cases. We got out of the gas station business after our experience. Traditionally they want to call for service and by then it's a pain.

Let it snow.

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Agree 100%. Forget about that when he calls BS! That never works out good for you.

7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Those caps are a PITA for sure. For what its worth backdragging them is a lot easier than trying to plow over top of them.

8. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

The ONLY accounts I'll do per "call" are some driveways. Parking lots I tell them I need a trigger snow depth hopefully 1" or maybe 2".

9. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

You can not possibly be serious?

10. grandview

As to what? 75 per push per lot? Easy plows.

11. shovelracer

And that is exactly what wrong with this industry. At best he'll get maybe 15 plows in, risk thousands in property damage, a cracked blade, some jerk off will back into him and his insurance will pay, and he'll spend at least 6 hours a winter at each location sitting idle waiting for knuckleheads to get out of the way. Please keep those rates over there.

12. grandview

This sounds more your problems ,not the gas stations ,I've plowed them for years ,quick jobs in and out. If your hitting stuff then your the one not paying attention to what your doing.

13. shovelracer

Ok, lets be fair are they 24 hour lots? Around here you can not even get into them during the day. Only real decent time to service is 10pm-5am. For the record we don't touch gas stations. We can make the same amount in a third the time elsewhere.

14. grandview

If they are 24 hrs then they maybe busy and that means most of the mains parts will be bare .All you need to do is the outside of the lots ,then if you want you can do any other cleanup when not so busy.

15. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Gas stations can be good money makers. Depending on trigger amounts and operating hours. As GV said they can very easy accounts to plow.

16. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Very true!! Only way to plow that area is to backdrag. I have never had one come off that way.

17. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Had one come off that way one time and I have no idea how it happened. On the bright side it was easy to spot!