1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you guys think of this truck?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by markzrt1, Mar 4, 2006.

1. markzrt1

markzrt1 Junior Member

'91,v8,127,000 miles, western plow, suppoesedly an ex goverment truck, $3900

2. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Too old why buy some one elses problems.
  3. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

If it was near me and everything tested ok on a test drive it would be SOLD. Heck your getting it cheaper then a plow would cost you new. Older is better in my book. Dont have to worry about tearing up a new truck. Would only do new if it was a tax write off for your type work and uncle sam was paying for it then, so it wouldnt matter to me. Go for it.
  4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

LOOKS good to me. How does it run? Miles seem to be good.
  5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Looks like a decent buy to me if it runs and drives well. Its the HD 3/4 ton too judging by the flares--not the much lighter wanna-be 3/4 ton my friend's was.

If it was mine, I think those horrid hubcaps would be among the first things to go!!! LOL
  6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Ya, $3900 plus $2000 for a new tranny the first time you drop the plow, or who knows. You might get good luck with it.
  7. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

That'd sell for about $2,200 - $2,500 around here.

If your going to use it as a daily driver, dont buy it.
    If your going to use it as a plow truck only or backup truck, offer $2,500 and see what the say.
  8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

$3900 up here is the tax on a new one. You would have 7 months to get it into tip top shape. That looks like a great deal to me. I would buy that in a heart beat.
  9. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

I sold an 86 for $3900 just last year, and the guy was thrilled...it was a 3 sp with a stripped down 5.7L block with absolutely no electrical anything or emissions left on it.
  10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The most I have ever paid for a rebuilt 700R4 is $1000 Cdn, which included HD parts and a shift kit. I can't see the price having raised much as the tranny itself is much older and parts far more common then ever before.
  11. ljrce

ljrce Senior Member

i picked up a new 700r4 last summer and paid 600
  12. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like good truck to me, I bought a goverment about two years ago it been a great truck. I'd say go for it.
  13. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Yup older ones are the way to go. I plow with a buddy of mine who has a newer truck and he is scared and takes him way to long to plow cause he is baby-ing it. If you slide into something with a new truck it will cost you and is not under warranty. If you slide into something with an older truck, who cares, take a hammer and bang it out, or build a bullet proof bed for it... I have an 85 k-10 and use it...
  14. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Looks nice---you didn't tell what size "8" if it's a 454 I'd stay away, but thats your call--5.7 and I'd jump at it . 1/2-3/4 or 1 ton? And any toys a/c? pw pd. Most goverment trucks are bare bones strippies until recently! It would sell around here for 2500 to 3500, but a stealer would probably ask 4K good luck if you get it!