1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you guys recommend?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Grant9454, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Grant9454

Grant9454 Member

I am going to start some residential driveway plowing this year but i'm not sure what to do about lighting I had thought about doing corner strobes in my head and tail lights but im not sure if that gives me complete coverage. I then thought about a mini light bar but am worried about rust and leaks with permanent mount I would do the magnetic mount only if I could hard wire the cable and have a switch in the cab I hate having the cable coming in the door and plugging into the 12V. Any suggestions or Ideas you guys have would be much appreciated I am also not looking to spend an arm and leg I would like to stay under $450 installed and I have a 2011 Silverado 1500 CC

2. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

You can run a cable out your third brake light and tuck it behind it in the off season. If you do a beacon or minibar you can then just run a couple hide a way LEDs in the taillights and you are covered.

3. Grant9454

Grant9454 Member

SNM you were the company I was planning on going through to purchase the lights as well as have them installed I know you can not give me prices on here but I was wondering if you would be able to give a quick reply as to how many hours you think it would take in labor to have the wiring installed for your mini light bar as well as have the switch installed?

4. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

My friends 2011 has a beacon switch factory mounted on the roof inside the cab. The wire was there, he just tapped into it and ran his roof mount led bar off the back rack.

5. Grant9454

Grant9454 Member

was there a switch there already or just the wiring I will have to go out to my truck in the morning and take a look

6. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

There was a switch there with a symbol of a beacon. Already there and the wire was above the headliner...

7. Grant9454

Grant9454 Member

okay thanks i just checked the manual online says its installed on some vehicles hopefully mines one of them

8. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

I just texted my bud... He said it was part of the snowplow pkg. He has a 1500 too so maybe you will be in luck. Switch looks like this...
    [​IMG]

9. Grant9454

Grant9454 Member

okay thanks ill find out in the morning... Im assuming if I used the factory switch with the mini light bar id have to pick a flash pattern when im installing it and stick with it since there is only an on/off switch

10. Grant9454

Grant9454 Member

thanks for the help man but i just took a walk out to my garage and there was no switch for an overhead beacon on the dash or the roof guess i don't have the plow prep package

11. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Darn... Sorry man.. You can just make up a switch panel somehow and make it work... Good luck.