1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you guys pay your subs?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by merrimacmill, Jan 28, 2008.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

For those of you who don't mind me asking what would you pay a sub with a newer 3500 Dump with a 9' V blade and a under tailgate spreader? I know that rates are a regional thing, but just looking for some different input to get an idea of the average. I tried looking around here but I could not find anything on prices. I was going to put this in the bidding and estimating forum, but since its not bidding or estimating on a specifc job, I put it here.

Thanks

2. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

we'd pay him like $55-60 hr

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

$50 -$60hr is what you pay employees that use there own trucks.

A sub contractor has his own equipment, INS, his own employees Etc etc....
    You should not be paying him by the hr but by the job.

A sub contractor is an independent contractor not an employee with his own equipment.

As a contractor how much do you figure you need to make?..$$
    It is no different for a "sub-contractor"

My salting sub- contractor I do not pay by the hr but by the job.

But if you were going to pay a sub contractor by the hr $90 -$ 200 is not out of the norm

I guess I was not much help.
    To help you with the distention http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=99921,00.html

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

You were helpful. $55-60 seems low to me. After your done paying your driver $15-$20 an hour, fuel, insurance, taxes, workers comp, equipment upkeep like cutting edges, and employee fringe benefits, then there would be almost nothing left to make it worth it. Thats atleast how it seems. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

5. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Considering trucks get $75 per hour for an 8' blade. $100 per hour would be about right. The truck is pretty efficient with a 9' blade and being able to salt would save me the time of driving over and salting when they are done.

6. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

$55-$60 is the norm around here too. This is one of the reasons i have decided to just be a driver for another company than sub with my truck after you pay for all the insurance fuel and maintence there really isnt much left not to mention the beating your truck takes.

7. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

I have a few people that I sub for. Like I tell all of them ,I get 2/3 of what they are paid for each job. That way I make enough on it and they are still making money. It's good for everyone involved. I have plenty of my own accounts but can always find the time to make extra subbing. They love the job I do so it's all good. And yes I am insured.

8. PerfiCut Inc.

PerfiCut Inc. Senior Member
    from Eastern

I'd be ok subbing for someone at $60/hr. Of course I'll have to use the dakota with a 6' poly blade. Should have it cleared in about a week.