1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you drive Ford, Dodge or Chevy

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ein999, Oct 20, 2008.

1. ein999

ein999 Member

What is the most common or favored or reliable durable etc.. Plow truck that can be used everyday. Ford, Dodge, Chevrolet. What do you drive and how and what do you like about it. Other import brands are also helpful. I was thinking of getting a Ford HD 250-350 not positive though. I hear good and bad thingsabout everybrand out there. I also have considered a Tundra but i hear those are not really equiped for plowing i dont know? Your opinion is helpful.

Have a nice day!:)
  2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Ford. I like Fords. I have nothing against dodge either. Im not a fan of Chevy.
  3. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

agreed. Although I heard today that GM and Dodge are in talks to combine forcess and make one big automaker
  4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Thank god ill have some support at the meet. Seems most of the Ontario guys are GM lovers lol
  5. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Ford F550 / Ford F250 / Ford Excursion

Diesel...Diesel....Diesel !!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

GMC or Chevy trucks- I come from a GM family- all we've ever owned and all we'll ever own- hands down the best trucks out there IMO! I have an '03 GMC 2500HD Sierra and I LOVE it- works HARD for me and never lets me down!

GM vote here!ussmileyflag
  7. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

if you are using it for everyday and plowing both, my pick would be a Chevy 2500hd with the 6.0L gas.....the reasoning would be that we only plow about 2-10 days per year on average so the "other" days it's nice to have the good riding, low to the ground, easy to use Chevy 6.0 gas.......
  8. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

GM all the way
  9. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i came from a ford family, and went to chevy. no particular reason. I have owned all the brands though, even a toyota and a nissan.
    Pick whatever you like the best when you test drive it.
    All of the big three will meet your needs.

Cant vouch for foreign brands never plowed with one, and i try to get everyone to buy american.
  10. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I've always been a GM guy, but I will certainly look at Ford with the next truck. Always had great luck with gas engines, and the diesel Tahoe I had did well for a while but started having some expensive problems.
  11. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

chevy guy here. ive plowed with the same 1990 2500 350tbi 3speed for 4 years on 7 cylinders(it might be 5?). its had a knocking 7th cylinder since i bought it so i unplugged it thinking it would blow some day and it just wont die. i bought it figuring i had to replace the engine but it just wont die. ive had a wad of cash waiting to replace the motor and havent had to use it yet. the money is still sitting in a CD now gaining interest.

if i could find these trucks still i would have a few more but they are becoming hard to come by.
  12. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

2001 Chevy 2500hd for towing/plowing
    2004 Dodge Durango
  13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I use American and Mexican plow trucks.
    I've owned Dodges fords jeeps, gmc, and Toyotas

What is best? The one you want.
  14. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Onle drive Ford trucks.
    The best truck is the one that's paid for.
  15. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I own 3 Ford truck and drive Geo tracker that my Uncle want me use for no reason.:confused:

I say geo tracker is fun to drive but not great when drive on bad road it rough ride.

I say Dodge I have drove one time because we don't see those lot here but most is FORD or GM Truck. I have drive GM truck I say it comfy ride but not great for drive on rough road everyday because I notice it get loose in steering system so it need to keep grease so it be fine. But their Colorado with 3.7L have too much power I have drove it seem like it came from dragster.

For Ford It seem lot Ford truck so I have drive Lincoln Mark LT, F150, F250, E250, E350, Ranger, Explorer, and many cars.

I drove 97 Dodge 2500 ram that is plow truck. It was have lot trouble when I drive. Horrible noise in steering system like click when I turn left or right. Plus transmission seem stuck but let foot off pedal it engage ok. Well next week owner replace transmission and put biggest cooler I have see. It was cheap truck he bought at auction that truck was roll over so he replace body then install plow on it so it last 2 years then replace ball joint and transmission now he still use it.

My Favorite is 2001 F250 with V8 5.4L and Chevy Tracker.
  16. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

around me is about 90% chevy with the other 10% being 99+ powerstrokes and 05+ cummings , alot of people run the 1/2 ton chevys with 7.5 blades, i would not put a plow on anything less then a 3/4 , i run a 3/4 hd duramax witha 8.5 mvp plus
  17. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I like my Chevy although I wouldnt be opposed to running an 03+ cummins powered dodge. I really dont like the older ones they just seem cheaply made to me.
  18. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I used to be die hard GM man. Back in 94' I tried to get a 1/2 ton chevy ext. cab but nobody would deal with me. I bought a new 94' f-150 ext cab for $3500 less than the same chevy. It was a great truck so I got an 96' f-250, than a 99, f-250, than a 01' f-250, and a 04' f-350. I think fords are great and wouldn't own anything but. That vview has changed a little, I have been looking at getting a new truck, but all the big three diesels suck on milage, so it might be a few years before I switch. If I was buying today I would get a chevy 1 ton with the duramax, mostly because of mileage
  19. jb3nh

jb3nh Member
    from eastern

I got a Chevy 3500 gas engine with a dump body a dodge ram 1500 short bed
  20. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

its an all dodge family here , CTD