1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Waterchikn, Dec 25, 2001.

1. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

I was just thinking about this the other day. I have only been plowing for a year now and just got some actual accounts this year. My thoughts were, since I live here in michigan, the weather is always wacky. The last couple of days have been snow flurries. Yesterday morning (Christmas Eve) I had enough snow on the ground to salt. Well, what do you guys do when you have weather like this. I mean, I caught myself waking up every half hour looking out the window. Its kinda painful.

I was just interested in what some of you guys who have been doing this for years and years do when the weather is "wacky".

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I still get up every half hour in anticipation :D.
  3. Comet

Comet Senior Member

One flurry can turn into a major snow storm,, I cant sleep at times and keep peeking out the window shade turning the outdor lights on :)
  4. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I get like a kid on Christmas morning............................. We need an event!!!! BIG TIME!!
  5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Hard to explain, but the sky gets a certain "color" when its snowing/raining. Dont sleep with the shades drawn, seems my internal clock gets me up at 2 then I can poke my head out the door, touch the railing etc.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

just like above for me....you kinda get into a routine .......but for me its pretty much every hour ,,,you usually know when it will snow and there are times when your not sure ...those are the times that you get the broken sleep
  7. Hidles

Hidles Junior Member

cold enough , that is for sure,all we need now is a giant '' L '' in the sky to brew juss right.:eek:
  8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

What you guys need to do is make a friend at your local highway dept. and have him call you when he gets called in. You'll sleep much better and not worry so much. You'd be surprised what a case or bottle will do for you.
  9. newtosnow

newtosnow Junior Member

I send my wife outside to check, and if its icy, she wakes me up. Sseems to work ok...she has good judgement. I make her brownies and coffee in trade.
  10. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

My lady would laff at me. But that would be a good idea. I like the idea of knowing someone at the highway dept. I know a couple of guys that work for the city here in michigan. I might ask them. Heck, who am I foolin, I won't be able to sleep. It's just a matter of time, we will get an event here and everything will get back to normal.
    I was just checking out one of those new Hinker C- plows. Interesting. Just wondering if they are going to raise the price of their plow markers. haha. See ya'll in the snow!