1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mcwlandscaping, Dec 7, 2005.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

When plowing ive heard to drop the blade after moving forward a little bit and not dropping it at a standstill and going from there. What is the correct or ok thing to do?

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I don't know if I've ever thought about it. When I stop backing up, I shift and drop the blade as I turn back around, all in one fluid motion. I dont sit around waiting to do things in a certain order, just what I've observed to be most efficient through the years.

3. nekos

nekos Senior Member

you put less stress on the transmission if you drop the plow while moving. still i don't think it makes to much of a difference.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The Ole-go-an-drop:nod:
    Well:D most of the time..

5. polplow

polplow Member

tried the go and drop----rather drop blade first seemed like a lot of weight from the plow to got then drop

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Drop then go....

I usually don't have enough room to "get a running start" and drop as I'm moving.

7. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

It depends on the lot. If its a nice open lot, go then drop. But if its a drive way, its stop drop roll.

8. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 Senior Member

i agree, if possible i try to drop after i start moving, if the room doesnt permit it then i drop first.

9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

It depends on how heavy the snow is, you dont want to get too much of a "running start" then you are ramming which is not good. But for a moderate snowfall, i find initial traction to be better if the plow is dropped first and has some momentum. I have gotton into the habit of dropping the plow just as I start turning into a driveway so I usually "go then drop" if room permits.

10. I drop mine first, its just the laws of physics.