1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do when

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Jan 11, 2000.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

2. GeoffD

3. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

we have the same people here but we make schoolteachers out of them so they can go forth and multiply.

4. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

GEOFF<p> I FEEL FOR YOU IT IS VERY EASY TO GET FRUSTRATED. I DO ALL THE TIME I AM IN OHIO, AKRON<br>WE GET A SMALL BIT OF SNOW COMPARED TO THE NORTHEASTERN PORTION OF THE STATE AND IT SEEMS LIKE THE BETTER CONTRACTS ARE UP THERE BUT i am glad for the accounts that i do have and treat them well if you do the same when that guy w/ the contract that has lasted for 30 years moves on you want to be the one that they call<p> i have found that in some other locales many commercial customers don't want every bit of snow gone <p> i (unfortunately for you) am not in one of these areas most of the customers here want salt regularly and lots and walks always wet for less liability<br> i dont really have much advice for you to swing a customer but would think doctors offices and the like would want this<p><br>doug

5. GeoffD

6. GeoffD

7. GeoffD

oh yea before i fill this discussion all on my own. There are guys still out their doing their books with pen and paper. I am sure they were y2k compliant.<p>Geoff

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Geoff the things you mention are exactly why you need to Join SIMA. We actively discuss these exact things in length at the Symposiums. If you dont want to join then fine, but at least give some thought to attending the symposium. It will cost about 50$ more than a member will pay but it is still worth it. Go to the SIMA site and read the scheduale.<br>If plowing snow is so unprofitable, why still do it. Bad attitude will be self fullfilling in making no money, plus I dont dont want to read about you crying the blues everytime I log on. <br>With education and a little hard work you can change these ideas that your customers have. I know cause I did it. Spending a little more on pretreating and ice control is alot cheaper then a million $ law suit from a slip and fall. These are the things you need to sell. Plus on your lower than 3&quot; snow falls you can sell a pretreat at 50% less then a plow and sand and still make money, and you will look like a hero to your customer. You wont need to plow, but rather melt the stuff.<br>Customers are ignorant about snow, we need to educate them ,cause if we dont who will? <br>The contractor who is a SIMA member will, because he will have the ducation and knowledge to take that account away from you and he WILL make more money from that account. <br>Now if you have accounts that wont change, then drop them. If they dont make you money, why keep them.Get ones that make you money.<br>A prime example is your bad mouthing of pusher boxxes. Try one, there is a dealer in Maine, he will probably let you have a demo for a storm, and see how much time and money you make. Just because it is new, doesnt mean it is bad.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

9. GeoffD

10. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

HOORAY plowking35,you are on the money,if you are in the plow bus you should check out sima<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200

11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Geoff, the one word you need to learn is EDGEUKATE...educate yourself and then tell your customers to climb onto the bus, you're taking them to school. It's a slow process, but one well worth the effort. If the 4 or 5 mainer's that are members of SIMA quit..even better for you. That'll leave you the head rooster in the hen house. Listen to what Dino and John are telling you. <p>Thanks and THINK SNOW!!!<p>Brian<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

12. GeoffD

13. bdemir

bdemir Member

Wow, I would just like to say that i am new to plowing and this site is great. What i just read gave me some hope and faith. It made me realize that most people that are successful have that mentality. I live in michigan and I bought a truck for 5000 dollars and it came with a western pro plow and the truck has many problems i have trouble trying to keep it running everything is wrong with it but I just drive it real slow and park it and i still hope that i will not lose my 5000 dollar contract for this year with a big landscape company that im contracted with. I bought this truck and the minute i brought it home it stopped running in my driveway. But everyday i get it towed or diagnosed or something falls of from rust or it has electrical problems. Trust me I know what a bumer feels like. Problems we all have and we can only deal with them. So best thing is if not fix it then maybe try a little prayer. I did.