1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do when you bit off more than you can chew? anddd you're bartering it...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mafia_Mike, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Mafia_Mike

Mafia_Mike Junior Member

What do you do when you bit off more than you can chew? anddd you're bartering it...

I own a few small businesses.. I plow because I enjoy to help people (I don't rape 'em)... and I have fun making a few extra bucks...

Now.. One of my landlords (commericial) owns a lot of properties.. He came to me because he didn't have a contract and offered me a decent (NOT GREAT) deal on bartering some rent for removal of snow/ice....

GREAT DEAL? lol - well I took it.. Problem is.. I can get it done, but I have 1 truck w/straight blade and a small blower and shovels (workers are ok). 1. is a medium size strip mall (7 units), 2. large stip mall (apx 12 units), 3. Large Storage complex (160+ Units) AND a VERY LARGE/STEEP HILL/DRIVE (1/2 Mile) ... anyways... I have a guy that helps me - but it does cost me some money and I help him on his stuff...

I really don't want (can't justify) spending $$$ on back blades/salter when I'm probably not going to do this deal again.

My typical thing is residential or small biz lots (under 1 acre)..

Any suggestions on how to make this work w/out costing more than it's saving me? I'm open minded on ideas and might have an option of bartering my barter (funny saying that) w/someone that owes me some $$$. Is there something out there like Wings that is just a rubber piece so I don't have to keep going back? I would love a cheap resolution.
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Are you the one in this predicament or someone else? How about approaching the landlord and telling them exactly what you said here? He's probably not going to be happy but at least you were honest.
  3. Mafia_Mike

Mafia_Mike Junior Member

Thanks for the input..

I can do this if I had more time.. but I want other options.. I'm working on one now.. I think the guy that owes me $$$ will be the best option.. He has better setups.. and 2 plow rigs.. PLUS I can keep 1 .. maybe 2 units .. Thanks again!

4. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Judging by your screen name... can't you just have him whacked?:gunsfiring:
  5. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

It's already in motion.
  6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Where are you at in West Michigan. Maybe I can help you if you get jammed up.
  7. Mafia_Mike

Mafia_Mike Junior Member

NW GR area.

It is more of a time constraint than anything. If there were 30 hours in a day - I could keep my existing accounts, my businesses (And I'm starting to franchise my business now) and this all the same. Honestly --- 1 of the biggest problems I have is I lose so much snow out the sides of my straight blade and I'm reversing 2000 times to get the snow moved 150 yards..

Thanks for all the help!

8. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

Throw a set of pro-wings on that straight blade. You will be amazed how much time you will save. Price from central parts $182.67 plus shipping. Look twords the top of the page for a link. With a set of wings you may not be in as bad of shape as you think.
  9. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

ditto... they make tons of difference.
  10. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

A plow with wings is easily 30% faster than a straight blade.

cheap, relatively easy to hook up and major time savings.

This is where I would start.
  11. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

Another vote for Wings...or a V-Plow. If you are doing two storage units, those should really be done with a V-Plow or a Skid Steer with Box to be efficient. If you are looking for cheap, than wings are the biggest bang for your buck.