1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do to get your truck ready for the snow season?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tomoaktree, Oct 23, 2002.

1. tomoaktree

tomoaktree Junior Member

What are some helpfull things to do for preventitive maintenance and winterizing your truck?
    Here is a couple of things I always do .
    1)Change oil & lube
    2)Put winter tires on
    3)Spray wires w/silicone
    4)Check all hoses

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I run GM products. I turn the key.

Don't I wish!

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For the 3500: Change oil, filter, chassis lube, replace air filter, replace fuel filter, transmission service - change fluid and filter, service rear axle and trasfer case, check all brakes - replace worn pads and shoes, replace thermostat and coolant, check and replace wheel seal.

1500 - similar to above plus replace exhaust system, fabricate entire fuel line, replace battery and new winter windshield wipers.

Checked all hoses and belts. Replaced serpentine belt on 3500.

Studded tires go on the 3500 after Nov 1st.

At least that's what I did this year. I should be ready.

4. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I put a new set of Monroe Muscle's on the front of my truck. Just finished it tonight.
    Its snowing as I type,
    Mark K

5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

1. Increase tire pressure (especially on the front, but not over the maximum limit)

2. Change all fluids (oil, coolant, trans, transfer case, differentials).

3. Have the battery checked.

6. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Those above advices are good, and I know that there are alot more that can be done. I have a copy of Chuck Smith's Snowplow Handbook and I remember that there are endless list of things that you can do to prepare your truck for the winter. A really good book. I will have to pull that book out someday soon and starting working by the list. Probably would the best to do in November after the leaves clean up because everything seems to get dirty and dusty in the truck.

7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the compliment Stephen. I actually wrote this back in 1998, and I just noticed there is no link to it on my main page of my site.

http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com/winter.html

And yes, I actually carried all that stuff in my 1980 GMC, and 90% of it fit behind the bucket seats, and in the center console I made.

Right now, I am in the process of writing a new list for my new employer. It's a bit tricky with 8 of our own trucks (Ford, Dodge, International), and sub contractor rigs to worry about. Good thing the Ranger is an extra cab!

The updated version of my book will include even more prep items.

~Chuck

8. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

Thats a great post by Mick. I would not forget the tranny service, diff fluid change, and grease hubs while your at it. I always take along a portable jump starter, and jumper cables just in case. I am really sold on those jump starters now, can not tell you how many times I have used that thing.

Jay

9. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

#1 Get my plow ordered and installed!!!!!!!

I just got my loan approved for$3400.00, now I am deciding between Boss and Western. What are the ballpark for a Western 8 1/2 MVP or a 7'6" Pwer V from Boss? I got the prices for a 8 1/2 foot in both models for a straight blade. Still Wondering if the prices are that much higher for a foot narrower in the V configuration.

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Thanks, Shady Brook. As some sharp eye probably figured, that was from a shop service order. I called the dealer where I bought it and said I wanted it checked out good in addition to a brake job. The service manager kept making "recommendations" which all sounded like good ideas to me. I guess I should have said that's what I "had done" rather than "did". I paid for it, though. That should count for something :) .

11. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

Mick,

I like your honesty. :) Hey, long as the stuff gets done, and your ready to go, it does not matter who did the service. Have a good plowing season.

Jay