1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do in the winter for extra work?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by martyman, Dec 8, 2004.

1. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I've been plowing now for around 7 or 8 years. I tried a few years doing commercial, but I really like doing my 50 residential. I can't do salting because of insurance reasons and getting commercial jobs around here is next to impossible anyway's. I've tried temp agencies and did work some warehouse stuff over the years, but they get annoyed that I have to quit when snow is coming...I really need something to generate some extra income, but I just can't seem to find anything that I can do every year. Any suggestions would be great.
  2. ace911emt

ace911emt Member

sell real estate...no one buys in the snow...
  3. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

I sell on Ebay since 1999,and watch my kids when it's not snowing...
  4. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I've heard, but don't get mad that e-bay is a scam...people post stuff and then they have there buddy bid to jack up the price. I wouldn't mind selling stuff if It was a "Buy now" item.
  5. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Tree work, if its snowing then we arent cutting...Rob
  6. J HIsch

J HIsch Member

Sell christams trees
    repair mail boxes
    outdoor holiday lighting

make crafts and sell at craft shows (clocks, mail boxes, signs)
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Some guys do interior painting. Cheap to get into and most jobs are just a couple of days. I am talking just a room or 2 not the whole house. You have to be pretty good though. Just a thought. I try to get that never ending honey do list. I figure 5 or 6 more winters and it might be done. :cry:
  8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Just about anything for extra money.