1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do for your hands?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JimMarshall, Dec 21, 2013.

1. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

The ice melting chemicals just tear mine up. What do you do to keep yours in good shape?

2. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

3 best options I've found are corn huskers lotion, goldbond ultimate lotion, or aquafore

3. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Of late, I am liking Working Hands

4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Gloves ????

:confused:

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Rubber or neoprene gloves

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Same here, regular old winter gloves.

7. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

X2 the best crack therapy.:nod:

8. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Working Hands is good stuff. A lot of the hardware stores around here carry the tins of it.

I almost grabbed a pair of Kinco #1801 gloves at one of our local stores the other day. I was there to get sand and Super Melt, and they had a stack of the gloves with a display of ice fishing gear. All they had were XL, so I passed 'em up.
    I bet those would keep your hands dry, as well as not letting the chemicals get on you.

9. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

10. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

11. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing, I hate lotion. Wear gloves!

12. JimMarshall

from NW PA

I wear gloves. My hands still dry out and crack

13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

This girl showed me this once or twice. She takes latex gloves and fills them with what ever type lotion you want then wears them around the house or watching tv,gives it a chance to soak in.

14. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Old school petroleum jelly seems to do the best job for me but like others have said, gloves help a lot.

15. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

So, you're not touching the calcium chloride with bare skin and your hands are still cracking ?

This is very common, and it's not related to the CC if you're skin isn't physically touching it. It has to do with winter dryness, forced hot air home heating systems, and your bodies physical chemistry with regards to the changes the weather brings about. My BIL has the same issue, and he has to use hand creams all the time. He started a regiment of fish oil capsules with dinner, and it's helped dramatically. Basically you're healing from within...

Another common issue is being allergic to certain kinds of rubber gloves. A common allergy to Latex

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/latex-allergies

My vote is for Corn Huskers lotion, as when I was a little kid, my mom would slather my hands with that stuff all the time in the winter months.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  16. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Wife does this before she goes to sleep.

and

no there's no benefit to me in any way, shape or form.... especially after 27 years of marriage.:(

17. JimMarshall

from NW PA

I don't use calcium at all. My operation does... I touch sealed bags helping my sidewalk crews load their trucks.... But I personally do not. I infrequently touch halite with my bare hands, but usually wear gloves, maybe it is completely unrelated, but I never seemed to notice it before I got into the snow business.

18. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

I wear nylon winter gloves, and my hands are still drying....I take them on and off for driving, thinking about getting a tin of bag balm, that's what the old timers use for winter milking!

19. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I did skip the 2nd half of my statement,sorry for you though!

20. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

wear gloves. Thumbs Up