1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do for a "dusting"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MatthewG, Sep 15, 2010.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Seasonal and per push contracts maintain a 2.00" trigger. Generally customers must call if they want services such as de-iceing if under 2 inches. What do some of you do for a dusting? Just asking while I rewrite the contracts in an effort to protect myself.

I do believe I will leave a"dusting" as not to be serviced. This applies for commercial such as Burger King for example

Thanks

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

if your contract states your trigger to go is 2", and deicing services are on-call than there is nothing to note, a dusting is not 2". I see no confusion there.

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I ran into this at one set of condo's we did. Their contract clearly stated "plowing begins at 2" of snow accumulation". Of course they called when there was about a 1/2 to an inch on the ground, you could still see the grass in most areas. I didn't hesitate to call a quick reminder meeting with the president, I took the signed contract right up to him and pointed out the trigger point before it became a real problem. Protecting yourself is explaining 2" is 2", not 1" or a dusting.

4. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I might want to clarify im concerned with the sidewalks and the dusting up to the 2" trigger. Just curious from your experiences if they want the sidewalk cleared if under the trigger. But I agree I will strengthen the 2" trigger section.

5. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

My contracts all either state 1'' or 2" trigger, but it also say's if an authorized spokesperson from the client calls and requests service other then whats outlined in the contract then I do it at an additional charge. Just make sure your contract leaves you an out, and if they want more services then take their money! I have a bunch of clients that will have me salt if there is a dusting on the sidewalks only, and some even have me salt lots too, but I usually wait for the call just to make sure on most of them. My schools are a for sure thing though!

6. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I just sleep in, or salt

7. grasskeepers

grasskeepers Member

BR 600 back pack blower on dustings, super fast

8. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Our own contracts says plowing at our discretion, and our bracket price goes from 0-4 inches as they first one. This way we can do whatever we think is right. On the flip side we also do sites where we have to sign "their" contract, some of those are 2" trigger, we add a line to our pricing for an hourly rate under 2" plowing, and make the statement right in that line that says at times de-icing material will not completely and safely remove the accumulation.

9. Brian Young

When I first saw guys doing this,(years ago) I was like what the heck are they doing......then after about 30 seconds of watching them I thought that was the best idea since sliced bread! Plus if you can get to it before cars and people trample it you dont need too much salt if any. I even thought of taking our wheeled blowers around for some smaller lots. Back packs are great for even a couple inches of dry, fluffy snow. I bet a 10hp wheeled blower will clear off a dusting from a 100ft x100 lot in about 2 minutes,lol.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  10. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

we go out and do any commercial and residential places with even a dusting of snow, if it is enough to hide the concrete on the sidewalk, we are likely going out.

11. Brian Young

Same here. It just depends on the contract. I hate it when a seasonal customer is calling with a "where are you guys" when there's only an inch on the ground. In September they understood what 2" meant.

12. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Salt salt

13. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

For sidewalks, I have a compact tractor with a broom on my wish list. That would make really quick work of the light ones, and very little if any salt required. In the past, we've just salted it off, and while I'm hardly a "green freak", it just seems wasteful. The other problem is by just salting off the light ones, you end up with more turf damage next to the sidewalks.

14. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

I even use my hand held blowers to blow off walks and this one I love, my wife's car....I have seen so many people take a broom ant drag it across their cars trying to get the snow off....Not good on the paint....Its funny, I started blowing off my cars about three years ago and now there are about six others on my street that do it....LOL

15. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I salt the commercial stuff. Otherwise only a few clients want shoveling for a dusting.

16. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

That is exactly what I d when I can works great. Its also good for drying your truck off.;)

17. KartAnimal29

KartAnimal29 PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ct.

I used my Little Wonder 8hp blower to do my driveway last year. Everyone in my neighborhood looked at me funny the first time, then they all came running over at the 2nd storm asking me to do there driveway. The best thing about it was it doesn't leave any piles at the end of the driveway so you can see when pulling out and like others have said if you get ti it before anyone drives or walks on it there is no need to salt.

18. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

how do you get out of high school? :laughing:

19. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Stick to what is written in your contract. As soon as you go out for less you just set yourself up for going out for that lower amount. Do not give mixed messages, that's when the phone calls start to increase, when the client no longer knows what the trigger is. Trust me on this one, once you go our for a dusting, they will expect you to service then for each dusting, especially for seasonal contracts.

20. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

:drinkup: if not salting enjoy a beer and a night off