1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you do??????????? Commercial Only

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by roblandscape, Dec 6, 2007.

?

What would you do

1. Salt once when it ended

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Salt fully twice

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Salt once fully, come back and spot salt

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Not even bothered

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Called the property manager

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. roblandscape

roblandscape Senior Member
    from Phila

Ok, The senario is........ Its 12 pm and 25 degrees out. Snow is coming down and the are forcasting 1-3 inches. They say the snow should end around 8pm.

As of 6pm there is an inch on the ground.

Heres what I did... I went out a 6pm salted my 3 commercials. Went back out at 5am and spot salted my properties, I'm glad I did, it was pretty icey in spots. I would like to se how you guys would have played this one. I know when we get an average 4 inch storm, I am salting at least twice if not three times after the snow stops. And I have had customers say I salt too much,................ I tell them I don't like getting sued.

2. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Probably plowed it when the snow stopped and salted after the plowing if there was ice.

We do large commercial so a full salting cost me over $1000 per time so I tend to use as little salt as possible.

We also use a x-county truck with a metal belly blade to get down to the pavement and remove ice.

3. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

How late is the property open?
    I always know the hours of operation at each of my commercial accounts.
    I always open them up for the day, then if still snowing hard, clean them out at lunch time so employees can get out for lunch. Then, if needed, maybe hit them again before they go home.
    In your scenario, if the account closed by 8 pm and only an inch on the ground, wait till morning and hit it. If the account stays open later, or an apartment complex, I'd push it later and salt afterward. Depending on what type of snow it is, sometimes salt is going to make it mushy and more slippery as more snow falls. Or, if cold enough, sometimes it will cover up ice and actually give a little grip, then you can push it off and salt after the storm subsides.
    Hard call, too many variables. probably not much help, but thats what I'd do. :waving:

4. roblandscape

from Phila

All apartment complexs open 24 hours.

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I would have plowed when it was all done and salted if the customer requested it.

I have all my customers sign off that they're responsible to call when it's icy.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I would have already presalted and then came back around 4 or 5 to recheck and then recheck again around 2am depending on the weather.

7. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Be careful not to chince yourself out of a push by salting to early. :)

I'm pretty sure. No. I am sure I did that the other night. So did my friend on her commercials.

Unless you are getting fees equal to a push charge when you salt. But my push prices are much more attractive than just salting.

8. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

we salt anything under 2 inches over 2 , we plow then salt or presalt on heavily traffic areas.

9. roblandscape

from Phila

This event ended up only being 1 inch of snow, Im glad I came back to spot salt because it was icey again 10 hours later. Thanks for the replies and vote keep em coming.......