1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what do you do besides plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LINY Rob, Dec 5, 2004.

1. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

After being on here for a few weeks I notice most of you are landscapers or maintance companies, how many of us have "other" jobs and consider pushing snow a "side" job?

I use my truck around the house, sometimes for work, and of course when it snows, otherwise I grab the car keys when I have to go somewhere.

what about the rest of you?

2. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

I'm a rental shop manager/supervisor at a ski area during the winter. I don't make any money doing it after expenses but it gives me something to do and I get to look at hot chics all day... If it snows, I don't go in to work.. Has worked well so far (all of last season, and the beginning of this season)..

During the summer its full time lawn care & maintenance.

Happy plowing! :nod:

3. Razorman

Razorman Senior Member

I work full time as a operator for a Dry Fertilizer Company 40+ hours a week,then I have a lawn service with 37 customers every week to mow and do maintance on 30+ hours a week. I got into snow plowing because I did'nt know what to do in my free time. lol :dizzy:

4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Nothing even remoted related to this..

5. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

I'm a Sheriff Deputy/Corrections Officer full time, and plow snow in the winter and mow lawns in the spring and summer months. Breck

6. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I do fiberglass repair, customizing and painting on boats
    warranty for major manufacturers, insurance, and of course retail.

I paint cars and any other type of side work releated to my profession in my "free" time. I got into plowing from a friend who told me how he made some spending money for his toys by snow plowing on the side.

so I look for plowing to pay for my car insurance for the year and pay for some toys that I perhaps would not have purchased otherwise.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Retired on Dec 1, 2003. I'd been plowing and sanding for three years and expanded my route. I'd also been making and selling a treated salt. I added firewood as a service this year.

So basically, I'm retired and doing a "little bit of this; a little bit of that and a whole lot of nothing" (especially since we're not getting snow).

8. osbo68

osbo68 Member

We run a Pest Control Co. yr round. It slow's down for us in the winter so we do the snowthing. We have about 9 hrs of accounts for each trk. we start about 1:30-2:00 a.m. and we get done about 10ish. Unless it's still snowing then we start all over again!! :p 95% of our plowing is commercial.

9. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i have an auto repair shop, my route is near my shop if anything breaks
    it can be fixed 24-7
    john

10. Norman B

Norman B Junior Member

I am deck builder I run 2 crews which is 4 guys I have owned my own buisness for since 1989. I need to keep my guys busy in the winter too so they don't look for another job, so we plow

11. PPM

PPM Junior Member

Ill show you all some pics of the homes I get to work on, I'm basically a sub for a company that does alot of work on custom homes, Its a family owned and operated biz, these people are grate to work for and its alot of good experience. We work right through th winter.

dinardo court.jpg

dinardo court 2.jpg

diardo court 3.jpg

12. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i am a logger.

13. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

What is that, a $2 million house?

looks sweet! :nod:

14. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I will do anything as long as it is legal. and if things get tight that may change.

15. landcare pa

landcare pa Member

i have a landscape business in lehigh valley area ,do all commercial accounts,it helps keep are guy`s busy in the winter. we have about 30 pieces of equipment to keep busy in the winter here

16. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I am a Commodities Relocation Engineer I just plow a little snow on the side because I enjoy it.

17. ljbev

ljbev Senior Member

the snapple guy

18. osbo68

osbo68 Member

That's good! I used to be a commercial material relocation enigineer myself :gunsfiring:

19. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

allways have time

Im a plumber and I plow because I dont want to plumb in the winter anymore
    branching out into light trucking had to justify my new international

20. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

I work full time for my father in his Auto Body Shop. I also have a property managenment/caretaking business and plow snow. I have 49 residentail driveways this year. My father and 2 brothers are going to help me by running the second truck, who knows I may run a 3rd truck. I am still searching for one. Next year I may another 35 driveways to do.