1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what do you charge per driveway?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by trqjnky, Dec 11, 2009.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

just wondering what everyone is charging?

i am at 25 per drive with a 2 car garage in cookie cutter housing complexes.

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

There's a loaded question. I charge $80 for a small drive....per trip. And I charge double on nights, & weekends.....and whenever I just don't feel like being there. For another $50 I will even move the snow away from the garage doors. :rolleyes: payup

3. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I get mine done for $8.00 and some lowballer came to town offering to do it for $6.00. :laughing: I don't do driveways in the town I live in.

Yep Loaded Question alright.

On edit: I kept the guy doing it for $8.00 because I've been happy with him for the last 9 years.

4. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

Most of my customers are small lots but to plow a 2 car wide X 2 car deep driveway I get:
    $75.00 for 2"-6" of snow (1 visit)
    $100.00 for 7"-11" of snow (2 visit)
    $150.00 for 12"+ of snow (3+ visits)

Shoveling, salting, and driveway apron cleanups are extra!

I've been told by my customer that my prices are middle of the road for my area but my customer service is great that why they go with me.

(I won't drop the plow for less than $50 no matter how small the driveway)

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

Do you smell that....it smells an awful like BS to me.....!

6. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

90% of my customers are in gated communities and won't think twice about $150.00 to clear the drive. As long as they can get thier Lex, BMW, or Caddy's out of the garage so they can go to the mall shopping. I'm not even the most expensive guy in the area. But... with that being said you have to #1 SPEAK ENGLISH, #2 do a great job, #3show up when they want, #4 deal with 1099 tax forms since most of the husbands are lawyers and bankers and #5 you can't drive some rust bucket and drip oil all over the drives.

That is how and why I can charge what I charge. No BS hear!!

7. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

What???....Okee-Doekee...I charge 7 beers and a # 3 meal at Mcdonalds for a small drive.:drinkup:

8. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

Your guys must be plowing in the wrong part of the country! We might not get the amount of storms in NJ that you guys do but I'd rather get 10 storms a year $75.00 per storm (we rarely get over 6") than say 50 storms at $30.00. When someone pays $15K a year in taxes shelling out $750.00 each winter to have the drive plowed is nothing.

I personally wouldn't pay that for my driveway to be cleared but I'm not rich!! I have lost a couple accounts to guys coming into the gated community low balling and charging $35.00 but he is also the guy trying to do 70+ accounts, fails miserably, and then the customer expects to be charge $35.00 from me. That's why I don't go in cheaper.

I didn't decide on the pricing I just took over the route 2 years ago from the guy I used to plow for when he retired and moved to FL. That's what he was charging so I just left well enough alone.

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

I don't know, all the right answers, but I still smell BS.

10. Matson Snow

I agree...I guess im gonna have to charge 8 Beers and Super size the #3 meal....:nod:

11. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

That's the smell of $$ not BS. =) :drinkup:

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

hey, not jack the thread here, but on your XLS, do you have scratches from the wings were they go in & out. I've used mine for two storms and the damn decals are gone, and there is scratch marks both front & back from the wings. WTF is that all about.

13. Matson Snow

No...Not yet....I have been reading about your issues.I hope you have them resolved.If you can, post some pics in the fisher section. I wanna see whats going on...On the thread hijack..Dont worry this is a dead end..:nod:

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

I'll get some in the daylight tomorrow. That's disturbing....I bet they were supposed to grease it or something. How old is yours?

15. nhpatriot

nhpatriot Senior Member

Dondo:

I appreciate that prices are different where you are, as I used to have my business on Cape Cod, and I am now in rural NH where we get half as much for the same job. And I still make money. Getting half as much as I used to get on the Cape still leaves me as one of the most expensive contractors around where I presently am.

But that doesn't make someone a low baller. It means that I need to work efficiently, and that you are riding the gravy train. When I hear things like "I don't drop plow for less than fifty bucks" it sounds cocky and arrogant. If I can make money dropping my plow, I drop it. Does that 5 minutes of plowing for $40 offend your sense of pride? Being that pro rated it still shakes out to over $400 an hour?

And 70 accounts at $35 is $2450. It's more than a lot of guys around me make, and our overhead is pretty similar to that of a guy in your area. I know cost of living is a bit higher, but most of us would still send a truck out for that money.

16. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

u mean like a real drivewayin the county or just a house in the city for $80?

17. Matson Snow

Brand New...Are there scratches in the paint??...Anyway, try to post some pics...

18. RepoMan207

from Maine

I was just being facetious. Too many newbies drooping a fishing line, I had to bite back. :gunsfiring:

Oh yeah, straight through to the metal. I'll post them on my thread tomorrow.

19. Matson Snow

Now you got me all worked up...:laughing::laughing:...Do the wings move freely in and out..

20. RepoMan207

from Maine

Oh yeah, perfectly.