1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you charge per acre to plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Monsonlawns, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Monsonlawns

Monsonlawns Junior Member

I'm going into my 3rd year of snow removal in the Twin Cities area in MN. I'm trying to see if my prices are in line with the market. I've done mostly residential with a few smaller commercial lots. I've had a 1 acre lot (44,000 sq ft of asphalt, 1000 sq feet of sidewalk shoveling) for the past 2 years. It takes one guy 1 hour to complete shoveling and plowing each snow fall with a 8'2" Boss VXT. Right now I'm charging $150/time to plow/shovel and $140 for salt. Is that a good rate per acre?
    Reason I ask is I'm bidding a few lots that are much bigger than this, so trying to figure out a base price per acre to get me started. Thanks!

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Your market price is different than say my area here in Jersey. What are other people in your area getting for lots of that size. Do you have equipment to take on larger lots? Here I would want 200.00. But some one would do it for half.

3. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Just as other markets are different so are lots. Are there islands to plow around, is it a square 1 acre. can you plow in both directions with minimal backing up, how many drives coming off the road. So from what you are discribing you might be a little bit low with the sidewalk being included.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I'm assuming it's hour on 2/3 inch snowfall, what about a 5/6 in or more?

It doesn't matter what you charge in the end as long as ur margins are in the comfortably range for you.

Sawboy likes this.
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Enough to cover costs plus profit.

LapeerLandscape likes this.
  6. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

How big are these much bigger lots?

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

that's a Q for the Minnesota Weather thread......

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Why? Do they actually talk aboot plowing there?

ice-eater likes this.
  9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

No, it's everything but that.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  10. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Can you please post a formula for this if you don't know your costs?...:plowred:

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Fictitious cost, FC
    Profit, P
    FC+P =

western w/lml likes this.