1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you charge per 50 pound bag of salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ToyPlowKing, Dec 29, 2009.

1. ToyPlowKing

ToyPlowKing Junior Member

Ok maybe I am beating myself up. I got my first complaint $25. per 50 pound bag is too much. With the rise in cost of bagged rock salt, I kept my # the same from last year, Got myself with the big boys and bought a fisher tailgate salter, that I do love. my work consists of walkways smaller parking lots snow and ice control, My route has grown over the last 10 years. What are your thoughts?
    :confused:

2. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Great price, if they dont like your price tell them to take a prsport

3. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

If I could get that kind of money for 50 pounds of salt, I would buy a v box spreader, buy bulk, and spread it for that price. For the sidewalks dip out of the spreader with a bucket then retire to the Caribbean. Just a thought !:nod:

4. ToyPlowKing

The going rate among contractors goes from 20 per to 30+ per 50 pound bag. I jumped on the salt wagon years ago. Dang my salter ran me 1500 bucks yes it is brand new. Just dont know what is fair anymore. Money disappearing from jobs as everyone knows. Would love to go bulk but dont have the equiptment or the room to much overhead...

5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Holy Cow...we don't get anywhere close to that. I think we are around 13-14/bg. for our bagged. Anything more, and the people will definitely be seeking services elsewhere. You have to be able to be atleast within a ballpark of bulk salt. No, the margin isn't as great, but that's the price of running bagged.

6. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

12 per bag

7. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

25-30 per bag spread

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I charge three times what it costs me

9. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

We are running some at $20 and some at $25. Its just the going rate around here. Not too many people use bulk. So companies are used to it.

And yea its great. I make waaay more from salt than plowing. Its $1,000 per ton that i get. And it only cost me $150! I'd say a hell of a good mark up :D I go through about 5 or 6 pallets a season. Bulk is running at like $75/ton. And people are charging around $200 a ton for applying bulk. I just look at them and ask, how are you making any money? Unless their padding their numbers. One thing i like about bags, and my customers like. If we dont get much snow/ice and i only have to put down 2 bags instead of 10, then its cost them a lot less. A lot of people charge a flat rate for salting. Which would cause the lot not be salted some times.

10. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Years ago when I just had a tailgate sander, I charged 27.50 per bag spread on the lot

11. Kubota 8540

So should I get my flip flops and shorts or not?:laughing:

12. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

13. tinffx

tinffx Member

I charge per application on a lot flat rate when not subbing (which is only 1 lot right now). I probably wouldn't show up for less than $100 but your market might be different (that might cover a couple bags of salt but no more than like 4). you wouldn't get a plumber, electrician, hvac tech, carpenter or handyman to your property for less than that around here. In fact that is probably cheap. $20-25 per bag sounds like a fair price on a small to medium size lot.

14. Kubota 8540

When you're talking bags, how big are the lots you're doing in sq ft?

15. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Mine range from 5k sqft to 50k sqft

16. ToyPlowKing

This would be the second time this year where I was asked if they could leave the salt and I could use there salt to save a few bucks, really?? needless to say the last lead for work I told them no thanks, cant do it any cheaper.

17. Kubota 8540

I guess my statement earlier was mistaken. I have spread bulk salt for 20 years, I have spread 1000's of tons of bulk. I have had 3 - 8' v box spreaders in that time. If you're capable ( and good for you ) of getting that kind of money / 50 pounds. Just think....... 3,000 pounds in the v box that you paid $70 / ton for..... spread it for $20-25-30 / 50 pounds. No bags! No getting out in the cold! Heated cab to heated cab to load !!

18. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

I've had a few folks ask for a few tons of bulk, and they would have their employees apply it to save money. We are in the salt business, and the customer gets what they want (within reason), but I would advise any plowing operation to not offer services without salting--it's a wide open door to slip & fall litigation when (WHEN) someone eats it on their lot that you plowed. Leave that stuff to the "one truck paid cash" heroes...

:D

19. overtime

overtime Senior Member

13 per 50lb bag and 350 a ton