1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you charge hourly for subdivision???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fastrunner2, Dec 1, 2002.

1. fastrunner2

fastrunner2 Junior Member
    from ILL

HIi, i have to give a qoute on plowing out a subdivsion for the winter.. not the driveways, just the roads.. I would plow when level reaches 3 inches.. I have a 99 dodge 1 ton with a 8.5 ft. western uni mount.. i figure it would take me bout 2-3 hours.. they want to know what i would charge per hour.??? any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

2. fastrunner2

from ILL

uh, any help out there?

3. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

We do private and county roads. We get a minimum of $100 per hour with the same compareable truck and plow. Will you spread ay sand,salt or chem? We get .35 per Lb of sand installed, .45 for salt and .55 for chemical. We do mostly sand. Think about this. There are a lot of people proabley living in the neighbor hood and EACH one has to pay into the community pot sort of speak. Bear in mind. If you do a bad job. You will not have just 1 or 2 people complaining. Do a good job and several of those residents may have other properties that they need cared for. Good luck.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Welcome to PlowSite, fastrunner2. If you've been around here for any amount of time, you know most would not try to give a quote without seeing the place to be plowed, where it's located and any number of other factors like traffic patterns, where snow is to be piled etc. Probably the best anyone can help with is that, generally, you want to figure an hourly rate of around $100 to $125 an hour for a person with a truck and 8' plow. Again, this depends widely on your location. This would also be for a person experienced with the lot, you can expect to take longer in the beginning.

5. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

We get between $60 and $90 an hour.

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The other reason you may see some gun shy about pricing is that it is very geographical in nature. I would price it in the neighborhood of what Mick stated, yet that may not fly in Michigan. We have found the more snow an area recieves, the less money each event will be worth. But you will make more in volume, then say me, where I only see on average 10 plowable events per season.
    Dino

7. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

by the hour

I would charge 100-150 per hour per truck. Definetly a one hour minimum charge. Extra if they want it salted or sanded. I would think a sub division would be nice. No sidewalks to do, don't really have to get out of the truck. Also if they are a new development... well anyway, get a non-refundable deposit for signing with you to be applied to your services for them. That wasy they can't stiff you for some of the work you would do.

8. fastrunner2

from ILL

yeah, i do agree that if your area gets alot of snow normally there will be alot more people who charge less verses an area that gets snow maybe five times a year... Its pretty sad to.. Cause on this subdivision that i am bidding on,,, keep in mind i am new to this, and this is my first year.. I bid $60.00 per hour, and no less, and i too thought that was kinda low just thinking about it, but i wanted to get my foot in the door cause its good advertisment in this sub. Anyways, when i told $60.00 and hour to the president of the subdivision,, he then told me that the last guy was charging $30.00 and hour.. WHAT! my jaw dropped probably how yours is right now. i was pretty disapointed.. I sat down and thought about it.. The ONLY way this guy was making money, and i mean the ONLY way is if he has a old truck with old plow, no business, doing it for pocket money, no insurance, liability... I think that someone would be using at least 15 bucks in gas alone in a one hour period.. dont you think?? Well, i bid $60.00 and they havent called me back.. but they did mention something like the other guy was the pres. son or something like that.. but i still dont get it. i will let you guys know what happens.. In a way, i hope i dont get it, cause i make more than $60.00 per hour plowing res. thanks.

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Whether that's true or not, I'd let it pass. Ask why don't they get the same person again this year? Answer may provide some insight.

Good Luck. There are others out there that want service. I'm finding that when you deal with these type accounts, they are only interested in price - until it actually snows.