1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WHAT DO YOU charge for bulk rock salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by elite1msmith, Aug 1, 2008.

?

what do you charge for bulk salt applied?

1. less than $150

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. $150-$175 on average

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. $175-$200 on average

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. $200-$225 on average

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. $225-$250 on average

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  6. $250 and up

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  7. I have no clue / or varies way too much per account

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

#1. since its been i hot topic, i thought maybe a poll was in order, to keep it private

all this talk about sortages, and paying 100 plus per ton, Does it have you rasing your prices....

so i wanted to see, how in line mine were, i understand that it may very with ur area, or the size of the account might give them a better rate, but on average, what are you charging , and bidding for with salt?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  2. elite1msmith

from chicago

i see no ones cares just to find out what the average is --- ? the poll does keep ur name anonoums, clearly u can see i posted my own

3. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

You should do a poll that is for what you used to charge and one for what you are going to charge.

4. elite1msmith

from chicago

well you can be my guest to post it, however, i personally dont really care what we were charging before, im more interested in the now part althought would be a nice way to figure out how much to increase

5. elite1msmith

from chicago

i am very surpised at how many people are charging over 250 per ton , for bulk salt, for those that are,

i maybe posting a few more poles, to get ideas thrown around, maybe we can all help each other out

6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Good idea...this one really got the dialog going :rolleyes:

7. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

LMAO :drinkup:

8. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

We Charge $15.50 Per 100lbs
    = $310.00 Per Ton

9. elite1msmith

from chicago

that was my thinking, im assuming , that everyone that carefully read that top - noticed the BULK salt

so , that being the case $15.50 per 100 lbs?

those of you that are claiming over $250 , are you spreading smaller lots, and theirfore have a higher price, due to less being used?

10. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I dont bid by the ton, per application. No need to over apply then. Per application usually works out to 1-3" plowing rate. So on a small site that you get $100 to push and $100 to salt and you drop at the max 250#s or less you make some damn good money.
    You can sleep at night as well, because you didnt need to charge for a ton of salt at $90 per ton :nod:

11. elite1msmith

from chicago

i see:nod: i thought that might be the case

12. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

.15 per pound, up from .12 last year. I figure the billing by 17 pounds per 1000 square feet. I have found that calculation is pretty damn accurate, I had 4 places last year that should have taken 500 pounds each, when we loaded up a ton in spreader and did those lots we came out with just a few pounds left over every time. Yes, I know air and ground temp, how much hard pack snow is left, etc all effects how much it will take, but that 17 pounds per 1000 sf calculation worked outstanding for us.

The reason I have chosen that .15 cents number is because IF we get cut off from the salt supplier like we did last year, I can still spread bagged for a profit. Not even close to what I would make off bulk, but at least I wont be spreading salt for free or at a loss.

13. elite1msmith

from chicago

well and that was a thought i was having.... but heres the real question

for those that did indicate that ur charging over $200 - is that because fo the size of the property

you stated 500 lbs, do you have any lots were you spread say 1.5 tons (3000#) per application? and still can charge that amount?

14. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

I charge them all about the same. The smaller lots I round up, and the larger lots I round down. Example: 460 pounds on a small lot becomes 500, and 3,590 on a large lot becomes 3500. I know for a fact that .12 per pound was the usual going rate for our area last year, 2 of the biggest plowing/salting companies in the area were charging that. Salt shortages have been all over the news here so I know everyone is going to be raising prices. I took guess that they would be going up to .15 and that is what I set my prices at to make some good money and still stay competitive.