1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what do you charge as a sub

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JLL25, Dec 14, 2009.

1. JLL25

JLL25 Member
    from Chatham

Just curious what the various areas of the country that are represented by everyone on here charges for sub work. I have a 2008 Dodge 3/4 with a 8.5ft V-plow and I get $60 and hour. $0.30 per pound for salt, my salt costs me $0.09 a pound. Also wondering if you have a ride along and what you pay him and do you charge extra for him or is that out of your pocket.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

$50 an hour plus gas.

3. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

With my company I Pay about $ 75 an hour to plow, your gas, and must have insurance and newer heavy duty truck and plow. I don't use subs to often but when I need them, I want good guys with good trucks.

4. Deco

Deco Senior Member

We offer emergency back up @ $125 hr. plow/spreader , they usually dont go for it until they're "stuck" .:laughing:payup

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  5. mow4cash

mow4cash Member

I wish i could find a good sub for that. I would think $75 min is what i would charge and feel like i was shorting a sub paying any less. Someone who can plow good can make you a lot of money in an hour.

6. JLL25

JLL25 Member
    from Chatham

Hell the $60 I get here is a slightly higher than normal price, I wish it was $75...

I have a Mobil gas station chain I do too and those pay a lot more, but then again I am the contractor on that. The guy who I sub for is making a lot of money on me though I know that. He won't pay for my ride along which kind of irritates me, and I'm not trying to charge him the going rate for a laborer, I just want him to cover the guys $12 an hour. Oh well.

7. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

80/hr.........

8. mow4cash

mow4cash Member

I guess location has alot to do with the rate. That sucks he wont cover your ride along. If you do a good job i would think it would be worth the extra $12hr to him to keep you happy since its not going to break him. Purchasing and maintaining your equipment isn't cheap.

9. JLL25

JLL25 Member
    from Chatham

Yeah the guy is a real penny pincher. He just told me flat out no, however he did say he won't send his subs anywhere there will be real shovel work. I just like to have a ride along, someone to get the snow away from areas so I don't have to get out and dick around with it. Its also nice to have someone to talk to and help from getting fatigued and drifting off to la-la land.

I guess if I could find better I'd take it. The nicest part is I get to bill him immediately and he doesn't make me do it on a monthly schedule, which is what the gas stations want.

10. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I seen an add in the local paper, a local lawn care company looking to hire plow truck drivers with their own truck with front blade, and back blade preferred $10-15/hr. I showed that to another friend of mine who plows, I've never herd him swear so much

11. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

Around here we can get $75-$100 an hour plus gas. You have to have your own insurance. But there are only a handful of companies here that offer snow removal. So as long as you can afford insurance you can basically name your price when it comes to getting new accounts. We currently charge $150 an hour for plowing with a truck. $225 id u call in the middle of a storm. We subbed the first year and made $80 an hour along with gas and plowed under there ins. The past couple of years we have had more accounts than you could shake a stick at. When that happens you can basically name your price and be very picky with who you take on as a customer. Its great to be one of 15 companies in a city that has a population of 900,000 people and growing. We also have a town on the other side of the mountain that gets snow on a regular basis, (higher elevation, gets stroms from Colorado) we just leave a truck up there from nov-march. Its not easy to drive 50 miles with a 9ft blade on the front of the truck!! a pallet of sno plow ice melt goes for $340. We generally get $35 a bag for the application, which is about $2000 a pallet. If they are a contract custromer they will be billed a flat rate forthe service, but down here 50% of our snow removal comes after the snow starts flying which is where we make the majority of our profit. If they are signed up and ready to go before the storm they will pay$25-$30 a bag applied. Not sure when the last time was that we just applied one bag but thats what it comes to when u break it down. My brother in law in Michigan cannot beleive what we charge down here but hey, no one needs a plow until its to late!

12. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I get $60 an hour with my truck, but i get paid in cash as soon as the job is done and he will work me untill i am done. I also have full use of his shop and mechanic if something happens. That is one of the reasons i bought a Western (thats all he runs).

I also have a few of my own accounts plus a full time job so i can't commit to alot of accounts just in case it needs clearing before i get off of work.

13. palmtree907

palmtree907 Member

$54 an hour is the going rate here for a sub. Which is why I don't sub. I do too well running my own contracts.

14. JLL25

JLL25 Member
    from Chatham

So do any of you guys travel for snow removal? I mean if your area isn't getting any action will you drive a distance for the chance to work. I talked to another sub in my town and he said he went down to Kentucky (I live in central Illinois) when they had a freak storm and told me he made 4K in cash in a full 24 hours of work.

15. Michigansnowkin

Michigansnowkin Member

I would find another contractor if you can.

16. bcofdayton

bcofdayton Member

I'm in Dayton, OH I have a friend who gave a contractor my name because they are over extended, what should I charge as a full time newbie? They are a big company and
    I need some advice before I have the initial conversation

17. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Well, big companies can be really cheap. So just be careful of that.

18. JLL25

JLL25 Member
    from Chatham

Well that depends

Whats your experience level?
    What year and type of vehicle are you using?
    How big is your plow?
    What type of wages does your market area support?

If you are completely new to plowing, you drive an older unreliable half ton, and you've got a 7' blade, then you probably won't command a very high rate.

19. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

I get $55 an hour and am covered under their 2mil insurance policy. I have to pay all my own gas expenses.

20. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I thought all subs did. Around here no one i know pays for gas. You just give them a flat rate per hour. The gas is on you.