1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you carry "spares" of, and what do you keep at home.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by joebio, Dec 9, 2006.

1. joebio

joebio Junior Member
    from 02777

Hi guys, new here, this is my first post. Great site with tons of info, I appreciate it.

I live in southeastern MA and this is my first year plowing, I had done some with my dad but that was 10 years ago. I was going to put a plow on my 03 Ram 1500, but found a great deal on a 89 F250 all set up, it is in great shape for its age. It has a fisher 7'6" plow with a belt driven pump. I have 2 commercial lot accounts and 4 driveways to start, although I anticipate picking up a few more.

My question is what should I have with me in the truck when I am out? Tools, drive belt, pins, fluid. I bought a spare pump off ebay for the cheap, does it make sense to carry that with me? What other spare parts do you guys keep on hand to prevent downtime?

Thanks for the info guys.

Joe P

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Mag-Lite
    tranny fluid
    motor oil
    plow pump fluid
    hammer
    BIG adj. wrench
    extra set of clothes'
    extra jacket
    extra gloves and hat
    gallon of water
    fluid film

all behind the set of my reg. cab truck! xysport :waving:

3. Rickco

Rickco Member

All of the above plus Hydo. hose shovel an snacks.At home is a spare truck all set to go just in case it's a real bad day.

4. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

cell phone charger or extra battery, jumper cables or jump start unit (you can buy at home depot for 30ish bucks. Having a back up pump is a great idea, but it isn't a swap you'll want to do on the job. I know guys with belt driven pumps who carry a small jack so if the pump breaks they can jack up the plow and hook the safety chain to get home

5. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

I carry a kitchen sink!!! You never know we you need one. No really i carry spare parts for the plow and a sledge hammer......Seriously, if you cant fix it with a hammer, then it cant be fixed.:waving: