1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do you carry in your truck?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bigtexan449, Jun 6, 2009.

1. bigtexan449

bigtexan449 Junior Member
    from Indiana

I am new to the site and have been reading threads non stop for the past few days...i was curious to what everyone has in there trucks while they are pushing snow...Emergency stuff. or anything else that you would suggest that is good to have while out doing a lot. thanks.

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Tow Rope, hydraulic fluid, hoses, wrenches, sockets, a couple of hats, extra coat, a few pairs of gloves and some advil.

Now if you have a Ford you might need to pull an Auto Parts Store.:jester:

3. tinffx

tinffx Member

Don't forget channel locks & two way pliers. they are the best

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Reason Cet has a dully is he has to carry all of GM's bankruptcy's papers around with him.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

FOOD! And Moxie.

What the others said, plus shovel.

6. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

a couple gallons of drinking water...enough food in a cooler to last the storm...cellphone in case i run out of food....lol

7. McGaw

McGaw Senior Member

+ Blackberry and macbook for weather updates.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

A come-along or two is also wise. Maybe this year I can afford a reese hitch winch thingamabob.

9. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Let me be the first to point out what you dont carry around with you in plow truck... Your GF/Wife.

But a socket set and some wrenches. plus a emergency plow kit. And a heavy coat. I plow with a sweatshirt on and heat up and window down.

10. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

What type of plow are you running?
    Another big thing to have is a motor solenoid.
    A spare headlight bulb for after you hit the curb that was not there before.

11. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

everything every one else said plus on some trucks extra part's (pumps, light blubs etc.) and lot's of food for me and don't for get your tim horton's girft card (or star bucks) :p

12. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

got to have the coffee

13. 7.3 Plower

7.3 Plower Senior Member

A maglite or two would probably be a good thing to have since you'll likely be out at night a fair bit. There's not always convenient light when things break.

A tow strap/chain would be good to have as well.

14. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

.....toilet paper. :D

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Tire chains

16. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Not much actually as far as tools, there is always someone at the shop that can run out parts if need be. One thing I learned though 2 years ago is to always have boots gloves a hat and a warm coat. I had a ford die on me at 2 am in a vacant lot on a -20 degree night all I had was a sweatshirt, It was a cold wait for a ride...

17. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Like ABES said, cloths for yourself if your truck goes down....a blanket also. I also carry extra gloves, sweatshirts, hats and socks to pass out to others when I find they themselves where ill prepared, or were in misery due to conditions or lengthy outings.

A small tarp is your friend if and when you have to lay on the ground to wrench. Certainly all the basics that were previously mentioned....snow shovel, flat shovel, flashlight, jumper cables, basic tools, chain/strap, etc. and first aid kit.

18. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

Spare keys.

With the way theft is, you will want to lock your truck when you get out and leave it run. Some of the bad guys are realy slick at just walking up, jumping in and driving away. If someone noticed them it would appear that the owner just left.

J & B Lawncare.

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's a real good idea. I actually locked myself out at 2:00 am last year. Hit the power lock button without knowing it, and closed the door. Had to shovel a walkway. Normally I would leave the window down, but it was very cold. Had to break in the rear slider. Not fun with a crossover toolbox, and PolyCaster in the back. Of course it's an extended cab, so I couldn't just reach down and hit the switch. Nope, headfirst downhill to the front seat.

20. snocrete

snocrete Banned

What about protection :gunsfiring: