1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what do you all think?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by uniquechev, Dec 2, 2009.

1. uniquechev

uniquechev Member

So this yr is my second yr plowing for myself with my company and i managed to get some parking lots this yr payup but.... i dont have a sander due to cost this yr but would it be better to hire a guy to sand my lots or do you guys think that it would be efficient for me to throw it out of the truck ? I guess what i'm asking is will it look bad to the condo's if i'm shoveling and throwing sand down ? anyone else go through this ???

2. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Well you could buy yourself a walk behind spreader. That would take a while, but I think it would be easier on you than shoveling all that stuff out of your truck. How much area are we talking about each time?

3. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Hire a guy or buy a salter/sander. Efficient no funny as all get out hell yes, post a video for us. Yes it would look very bad if you drive a few feet, get out and throw a shovel full out, drive some more and throw some more. You are talking the lots right not the sidewalks, sidewalks are easy with a walk behind spreader. JMO.

4. uniquechev

uniquechev Member

ya i'm talking about the lots . I was looking into those tailgate spreaders but they hang so far off the truck . the side walks are a different story. one lady has some dogs and now i cant put down the calcium cause its not animal friendly. Starting to think that this one contrac isnt worth it but money is money in this rough time.

5. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Tailgate spreaders are nice. You can find them pretty cheap too. That's what I would do.

6. Moonlighter

If you get the right tailgate spreader they don't add that much to the back of the truck, and maybe a small liquid tank for the sidewalk job for the little dog.

7. uniquechev

uniquechev Member

I heard that with the tailgate sanders they need to have a vibraiter in them for the sand and salt mix to come out. i have never heard about liquid for like a ice melt . hmmm interesting

8. Moonlighter

Well yeah a vibrator is a good idea with the sand salt mix, but depending on how long the sidewalks are a small tank unit with an electric motor and a hand wand sprayer may just do the trick. Or if it needs to be more cost effective maybe a pump up sprayer like for weed control, but it depends on how long the walks are and how much liquid you may need.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009