1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do we need?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Grant9454, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Grant9454

Grant9454 Member

Hello everyone this is my first post here, on Tuesday my dad is having a new Fisher HT plow put on his 2011 Chevy 1500. I am 17 and are going to pick up a few extra driveways to make some money before i head to college. I was wondering if you guys could recommend what to get to keep in the truck in terms of tools and spare parts. Thanks!!
  2. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

A Wise Old Man once told Me........A Good Snow Fighter Always has a Shovel......:salute:
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  3. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

I have a shovel, two flashlights, two quarts of hydro, trip springs (for my setup), extra hose. But I do a lot of commercial too so the odds of breakdowns are greater.

I would say you should be good with a shovel and a flashlight.
  4. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

you may need a strobe light depending on where your plowing, some citys around here require them, and insurance is very important, additional back up lights never hurt. hose, oil, wrenches, gloves, chain/strap
  5. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

A good set of snow tires.

6. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Toilet Paper......Just in case you eat some Bad Mexican Food or Drink to many Budweisers the night Before.....:eek:......:help:
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

What you carry will depend on your skill level to fix the problem. If you can trouble shoot and fix most things you will need a long list of tools. I have found besides fixing a hose it is usually better to just nurse the truck home/shop and fix it there. A few wrenches, spare hoses and some fluid.
  8. Grant9454

Grant9454 Member

Thanks guys we are pretty handy so we can fix most things but one thing I was wondering is with the new no chain lift plows what do you do if you bust a hose or something and don't have one with you and you can't raise the plow?
  9. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

you can use a ratchet strap around the plow frame and under the plow.
  10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Push the plow up a snow bank and then ratchet strap it in the up position. Even if you have chain lift with a broken hose you will still have to lift the plow in order to short chain it.
  11. Grant9454

Grant9454 Member

Okay that makes sense... Thanks!! And I'm not sure if you guys can help me with this or not but does anyone know if it is possible to wire two back up lights do I can plug them into the trailer hitch plug and have them come on when I shift into reverse?
  12. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

You sure can, you just need to pull off the hot side of the factory back-up lights. Depending on the lights you are adding you may want to run it through a relay.
  13. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

My chevy has 10 amp fuse on the Trailer back up wire. My new halogen lights (55W each) use 9 amps. There may be a spike at turn on so I'm running them off a relay and the 40 amp black/red wire with a 15 amp fuse. I'm adding a On/Off/On switch to run the relay in the cab. This will allow me to turn the lights on at will with the truck off or on and also have them cycle with the the gear shifter when plowing or have them off. I'm placing the relay next to the fuse box and getting the black/ red and light green from the fuse box. This way I only have to run one wire back to the lights. If I had the 5th wheel provision I would use it. I could cut into the trailer harness at the bumper and run 3 wire to the cab or plug into the trailer connector but like the 1st choice -one wire solution.
  14. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Oh and the relays are Song Chuan-same as in Boss Light circuits but they don't have the internal diode " (Boss have ....M01" in part number). $2-$3 bucks at Mouser . No mag field in lights so diode not required.
  15. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

All these posts and no one said it? You need the proper insurance to plow. A normal auto policy will not cover it if you hit something while plowing for money. And that doesn't include slip and fall lawsuits. For this you will need a general liability policy.