1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what do u guys recommend

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fisher guy, Jan 20, 2009.

1. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

OK everyone one quick question i have a 2003 F-250 crew cab 4x4 with the 6.0 diesel i just looked over at fishers web site and it said i can go no bigger then a 7.6 SD!!!! its a blade designed for 1/2 tons and smaller i know the motor is what kills me in the weight dept. but still. either way im putting a 8' HD on it my question is for u guys what do u recommend screw the rating and put some timbrens on it or should i heed the warning and look for something smaller? oh and i run over 2700 lbs on average ballest in the back i have a spreader i usually fill up before the storm to avoid the rush

2. Govbradst555

Govbradst555 Member

U will go thru front end parts a little bit faster. It sounds like it is a work truck and u do have the ballest and motor to push the snow. Make sure u buy all HD LIFETIME PARTS for the front end when it's time. Maybe better shocks or springs. Try not to gain too much weight.

3. fisher guy

she had an easy life before i moved up here all she did was take me to work and back before i moved from Florida yes it is a Florida truck. never seen salt in its life but now shes got 123,000 miles on it and in a couple years I'm trading it in for a 450 or 550 so its time to pay for that down payment lol theirs a pic in my pro if u guys wanna see it. im planning on some better shocks and maybe extra springs or timbrens and air bags in the rear sometimes we put 4,000lbs of weight in the back plus the 550 from the spreader itself so now she works everyday

4. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

put the hd on it
    get around 7-800 pounds in the back and dont worry about it
    an sd plow on 250 diesel wtf?

5. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

Get the HD and only run a 6" cutting edge. It's about 100 lbs less than the 8".

And limit your mileage with the plow on. Drive a second vehicle or take the blade off for running around in between storms.

6. Govbradst555

Govbradst555 Member

Sounds like u got a good plan. I have a 2003 F550 with a 9 1/2ft fisher V plow. I have no complaints it hasn't let me down yet got 67,000 in it. Once u go a V u don't go back.

7. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

What is the GVWR of that 03 F-250? 8800lbs?

Truck itself empty is going to weigh at least 7000lbs w/o the plow.

Check the springs up front to see which ones they are and upgrade to 6000lb front springs if needed. Load assist air bags are also nice.
    For the rear, load assist air bags are great.....I wouldn't recommend tossing 4000lbs in the bed as the truck, rear axle, etc.. are not designed to haul that amount of weight.

8. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

I am a firm believer in most vehicle damage from snow plowing comes from the idiot behind the wheel and not so much from the 1000 lbs. mounted on the front. Go with the 8' plow, add timbrens and make some money!!!

9. fisher guy

u are correct on the 8800 she ways around 7500 full of fuel and emty i had it weight a certified scale house like i said air bags goin in the back and thanx for the advice on the springs ill do that and in between storms ill take it off im only keeping the truck for the next 2 years after that im getting a 550 with a 9 1/2 v so im not to worried about the truck anything happens to it with the spreader on it boss pays for it and yes we have that part of the deal in WRITING

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  10. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

I had an 8' Western on a '97 Ford F-250 ext cab LWB with a 351 and front springs rated at (I believe) 3850lbs. When I went to get the plow put on the guy said you shouldn't have a plow on this truck. My heart sank a little as I had recently purchased it. I figured any 3/4 ton truck could handle a plow. He then asks me who will be driving the truck, employees or myself. It was just myself and he said, you're not gonna beat on your own truck like an employee would. Just take it easy. I think it went through front end parts a little quick, but it worked fine. I put Timbrens on after a couple years and it sure felt better if not helping it too. It doesn't appear that there's any warranty issues with your truck so I'd say go for it, take it easy and be prepared to maybe spend some money on the front end a little sooner.

11. Chevyguy04

Chevyguy04 Junior Member

We run Blizzard 8611lp power plow on 2002 - 08 F350's and F450's, which the 8611 really shouldnt be on the 350s but oh well they are way more worth it over the 810's. The guys that do our front end work do say ford front ends wear out easily even if they are driven real easy. The upper ball joints go out quick, we have an 07 F450 with 15000 miles on it and they are starting to go. The truck i plow in 07 F350 33000 miles just had front end work done (I drive the truck hard to get the job done but I dont abuse the truck, I have been plowing long enough to know when I am pushing a truck too hard), upper ball joints were shot but ford replaced them under warranty. So you juat have to look at the money side, is it worth putting the larger plow. To us it is because our trucks with the 8611 push a lot more snow then the couple trucks we have with the 810's