1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what do u guys pay ur subs?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Morrissey snow removal, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

what do u guys pay ur subs? i got 2 guys that sub for me 1 has a f350 with 9 foot blade $60 hr and the other is f350 with 8 foot blade for $50 hr! dont no what other people are paying thanks for the input!

2. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

granted it is NJ and we are known to be higher but myself and most of my buddies are paying 75-100/hr.

3. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

$55 hr for V-plow (9'2")
    $45 hr for 7'6" with wings
    $40 hr for 7'2"
    $35 hr for 6'6"

$15 per each residential

4. nekos

nekos Senior Member

$1500 a year commercial auto insurance
    $500 a year general liability
    $1200 on gas for the year ( $80 to fill up X 15 storms)

Working for free for the first
    56 hours @ $55 an hour
    71 hours @ $45 an hour
    80 hours @ $40 an hour
    91 hours @ $35 an hour

Priceless !

Good thing trucks never need maintenance or repairs ! You could work the entire season and not make a dime at those prices if they did !

5. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

Right on :nod:

6. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Holy crap!!!!!

We give $50 an hour for an atv with a plow. $75 and up for trucks. I can only guess you are plowing for half what we get here and I thought our prices were in the toilet...

7. Division

Division Member

I have 4 trucks on the road and i sub 3 of them to a large company here @ $50 per hour. MY guys do the work for $20 an hour and i take the rest of it for my expenses etc!

I would love to see a lil more $ per truck, but we do well. I plow on my own route and its all good

8. TSherman

TSherman Member

I get $50 for each ATV, $20 for a shoveler, and $85 or a truck., I wouldn't start them for any less!

9. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

Geezzz you guys are paying subs higher then what I bid my jobs at!!!!

10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

A truck with a plow on a parking lot here in md , subs I pay 85.00 , I dont care if you have a 6ft blade or a 10 foot blade , you get paid the same . I dont care if you are in a 2011 f350 diesel king ranch or a 1969 3/4 ton chevy thats 5 different colors , its a truck and plow . A 4 door dually with a 8 foot blade can move some snow , but a jeep with a 6ft blade can get in parking spaces and up on sidewalks . The guys with the blazers and jeeps are pretty quick. At the end of the storm everybody has earned their pay. The guys that run for me do a great job , they also get paid within a week of each event , I dont play that you get paid when I get paid crap .

11. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

What are you guys bidding if your paying your subs $85 per hour?!? Around here if you bid more then $75 per hour with a truck your not going to get any jobs.

12. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

i bid by the push and pay by the hour , a '" push " is 2 inches of snow accumulation . Salt is extra ,

13. procut

procut Senior Member

Thats the beauty of the sub thing. 75% of the guys with plow trucks are stupid, so you can pay them a pittance and laugh to the bank.

14. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

i pay up to 95 per hr for a truck for a man with workmans comp and a good gl
    35 dollars an hr for his labor

i pay 65=70 an hr for someone without workmans comp

sucks because at the end of the year im stuck paying on everyone who hasnt given me a certificate, snow workmans comp is almost 20 bucks for every 100 paid

quite a lot of money

15. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

These prices are in line for the area. Also insurance is monthly overhead for business. $166 per month for a 4-5 month plowing season. Unless he is hiring people who work day jobs and don't have there own business for the rest of the year. A better question might be what are you paying your subs and how many inches a year or haw many hours a year do you average. You might get $150 an hour, but only get 20 inches a year and plow 50 hours a season. Or like in a snow belt get $45 with 200 inches of snow and plow 500 hours a season. West Michigan gets 60-80 inches depending on where you live.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  16. cf1128

cf1128 Member
    from NH

About $15 less per hour than you are paying up here. You can find plenty that will work for $30 an hour, quality guys for $40-$50. Sad.

17. nekos

nekos Senior Member

The prices may be in line for his area. I'm not debating that. I'm just saying that it costs a lot of damn money to run a plow truck and that's the main reason why companies hire subcontractors. They pass off the expenses of owning and maintaining the truck and plow. They pass off the taxes they would have to pay for employees. In the long run it's cheaper to hire subs then buy new trucks every time you add a few accounts.

As for a sub contractor, what i am. I have to pay for my insurance, gas, taxes, repairs, deprecation on my truck and plow. It doesn't matter if i have a day job or anything else you want to use to justify cheap labor. It doesn't matter if i use my truck for anything else. You are using my truck, time, gas and insurance to make a buck. I expect to be paid for it. If not, go buy a new $40k truck every time you pick up 4 or 5 accounts. see how long you last in this business.

18. fci

fci Senior Member

That is a really good rate for a sub. Do you make much off of them ?

19. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

its hard to pay alot when u have to bid stuff so cheep around here because every tom dick and harry has a plow and wants to work so cheep sometimes its not even worth going out!

20. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

I agree with the first paragraph. It is why every business would rather sub something out instead of pay all the extras, WC, SS, etc. I was just trying to point out that the insurance is not only a plowing overhead unless that is all you do year round. My insurance also covers my summer business, building contractor, so the full cost of it is not paid for by plowing.