1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

???what Do U Do???

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by millsaps118, Nov 2, 2006.

1. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

Just bought my first BOSS V, can't wait to use it. One question though....what happens if for some reason you are unable to lift the blade off the ground due to a hydraulic failure while out working. How do you transport?

I've always had plows with the lift chain system and I can remember a couple times blowing a line or a bad connection in the harness that caused my plow not to lift or turn. Good thing was that I could drive it up a snow bank and reset the chain to keep the blade off the ground so I could at least drive.

Have any of you experienced this, if so what did you do?

2. jbwerling

jbwerling Junior Member

I haven't had it happen yet, but I always carry a come-a-long with me for that reason. That way I can winch it up to drive. I figure I can use a strong point on the light bar to lift from. That is for straight blade though. maybe a v-plow would be to much weight

3. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I have a 9'6" Poly V plow that is about 6 seasons old. I have never had a problem with the hydraulics. I guess that I have never thought about it.Crap, now you have me nervous, now I suppose I had better carry a comalong also. Actoully I have never had any problems. Last year was the first year that I broke a wing spring even.

4. millsaps118

Makndust..You've been pretty lucky going 6 seasons with out any major problems. I better get me a come-a-long too. I know Boss makes a reliable product but I need a plan "B" for that "Just in Case" time.

5. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

your lucky, we brake at least 3 or 4 wing springs a winter, and we trade our plows every other year, so they are never older then 2 years. Must be the guys running them I guess! Iv never thought about blowing a line I guess. If you cant lift your plow off the ground, I guess just plow your way to the bar! :drinkup:

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

7. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Always carry a floor jack and block , with a bar. Standard equipment for a plow truck.

8. millsaps118

jcesar & SnowFarmer-- Those are both great ideas, I just hope it doesn't have to come to that point. Although I like 4X4Farmers' idea.

9. john boardman

john boardman Member

Kindof ironic I just found my comalong at a customers warehouse 2 days ago after leaving it there a year ago (borrowed and never returned) I just happened to see it sitting on a shelf. Guess I'll just leave it in bed of the truck (under tonneau cover) as I could possibly need it this winter. :salute:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  10. WRIGHTTRAILERS

WRIGHTTRAILERS Member

BOSS actually includes a ratchet strap as part of their over-priced emergency kit specifically for this purpose, but they don't address it in the literature as such.
    In 11 years of selling BOSS plows, we haven't had a customer yet that had a failure while in use and had to do that, but it certainly is possible.

Adam Caron
    Parts Manager
    Wright Trailers
    Seekonk, Ma

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes:
    Really no one has blown a hose on their lift ram(s)?
    All of them must carry a spare hose and some fluid too?? ( Ido)

I knew I should have called someone and reported it, when I wiped out the plug on my plow when it was 4yr old and had to manually lift it so I could limp to the shop and fix it...........

I looked at your profile I think you said your 27-28 yr old and you have been a Boss dealer for 11yr you would have been 17yr???........... not a slam just a fact...:waving:

12. WRIGHTTRAILERS

WRIGHTTRAILERS Member

We have had customers break hoses, but it is usually as a result of accident while it sits.
    No customer of ours has reported a hose breaking while the plow was out in use and had to strap it up. That said, I am not claiming it to be an impossibility. I'm sure it has, and does happen.

In reponse to your other question, I am 29, and have only worked here for 6 years. The company has been a boss dealer for 11 years.

Adam Caron
    Parts Manager
    Wright Trailers
    Seekonk, Ma