1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do they call that...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jeep-power, Mar 2, 2005.

1. jeep-power

jeep-power Junior Member

Hello all-- my first post.
    THis seems to be the best place to go for help.
    I have been wracking my brain for the last few years trying to remember the word given to a gang of plows clearing a road/interstate. As I recall it is a french sounding word.
    Please help.
  2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Here its called a plow train
  3. ManorLandscape8

ManorLandscape8 Member

we call it tandem plowing
  4. mac3897

mac3897 Member
    from MA

is it a convoy?
  5. schnitz

schnitz Member

If you own the trucks, it's called "Bucho Deniro!"
  6. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

conga line

In Akron Ohio we call it a conga line. The city and state does it when heavy snows come.
    One of our drivers had a city plow truck drive away from him at 55 mph on interstate 76. They fly here !

7. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

I like the people that pass a plow truck train. They just have to be in front and dont realize that the roads are alot worse in front of the plow trucks. And while passing their cars are getting plastered with crap.
  8. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

team plowing

its the same in a lot as it is on the road
  9. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

It's called the County getting off there azz and working...
  10. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

We call it dualing.
  11. jeep-power

jeep-power Junior Member

still haven't hit it-- I remember it sounding something that goes with 'doc-tari" (standing up and holding the roll bar when traveling as a passenger in a topless Jeep-- or other topless vehicle). the wor always brought to mind it being a french canadian term. Mabe just a New jersey thing...

It's still bugging the heck out of me!

oh well- Think Snow!-- We have had 55 degree weather for the past few days-- haven't seen freezing during the day on over a month....:cry:
  12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Doc-tari was a show on T.V. in the early 60's lol
    Set in the desert of Africa I belive...
  13. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmmmmm.....French words....

14. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

At least the French came up with something to defeat another thing.
    They didn't give up.
    DOOh did I just type that?
  15. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Hey.. Plowsite.com comes through again. You been thinking of this for years? Wow..what do I win??? I spent a good 10 minutes trying to spell this word, I know how to pronounce it but spelling it was tough.

Main Entry: 1ech·e·lon
    Pronunciation: 'e-sh&-"län
    Function: noun
    Etymology: French échelon, literally, rung of a ladder, from Old French eschelon, from eschele ladder, from Late Latin scala
    1 a (1) : an arrangement of a body of troops with its units each somewhat to the left or right of the one in the rear like a series of steps (2) : a formation of units or individuals resembling such an echelon (3) : a flight formation in which each airplane flies at a certain elevation above or below and at a certain distance behind and to the right or left of the airplane ahead b : any of several military units in echelon formation
    2 a : one of a series of levels or grades in an organization or field of activity b : a group of individuals at a particular level or grade in an organization
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  16. Rappa

Rappa Member

I think it is easier to just call it "A Battery".

1. An emplacement for one or more pieces of artillery.
    2. A set of guns or other heavy artillery, as on a warship.
    3. An army artillery unit, corresponding to a company in the infantry.

1. An array of similar things intended for use together: a battery of plow trucks.
    2. An impressive body or group: a battery of plow guys.
  17. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I must be out of it, but what's the connection between the French and military terms......:jester:
  18. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I think he was just looking for the french word "echelon" not Battery.

Ducks can fly in a echelon too,. but most of the time in a reflective echelon. lol
  19. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We call it a "Rollin' Road Block" !!! :angry:
  20. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

When we do a huge parking lot we call it Radius plowing.Every truck is offset 3 foot to the right so the sweet spot is hitting the snow with no trail off's. You get 6 trucks and that's 18 foot a pass! At the end the trucks break right or left circle back to the start and do it again.