1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Do People In Your Area Call ATVs?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by mercer_me, Dec 16, 2009.

1. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

In Maine pretty much every body calls ATV 4-wheelers. Just wondering what people in your area call ATVs becouse I know there is alot of diferent names for them.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Rich mans go-cart.

3. dan67

dan67 Member

Quads, 4-wheelers, atv in that order most of the times

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Atv, 4-wheeler, quad, wheeler

And of course there are some creative names for it when it gets stuck or breaks down.

5. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

my brother tends to call them quad runners and it annoys me because he sounds like the biggest weirdo when he could just say 4wheeler or atv like every one else around here

6. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

In Minnesota lots of us are calling em Quads now-adays. When they were threewheeled we called em bikes. If you don't get what were talking about we'll call em 4wheelers. If were talking to a Cop or an environmental type it's an ATV.

If your wife can drive it we call it dangerous.

If you don't have room for an Igloo cooler and the wife it's called a compact.

If it's not yours, it's called a rental.

If it's under 500cc it's called a "youth"

If it's your "works quad", it's called expendable.

If it's got a deer and a gun on it, we call it a hunting rig. Even if it's bright yellow and sounds like a subcompact with a hollowed out potato shoved up its A$$.

7. skamaniac

skamaniac Member

Mostly call them quads.

8. Sir Roy

Sir Roy Junior Member

trespassers.

9. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Heh; yeah. If they're somewhere they shouldn't be, it's usually "!@#$%^&*! ATVs." :angry:

I guess I have heard them called 4-wheelers a lot, but mostly ATVs, which covers three- and four-wheel types.
    I haven't seen them in his yard lately, but a guy near here had two with treads on all four corners, in place of the wheels. I think he sold 'em.

Speaking of trespassers, five years ago a guy from out-of-state got the front wheels on his machine stuck in a little bridge on the railroad track. A train came along at about 45 MPH and got it unstuck for him. Nobody got hurt, but it set a new flight record for ATVs. :p

10. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

Usually 4 wheeler and atvs, my uncles always called them bikes. I find I call the ones that work ATVs, and toy ones like my 400ex, 4 wheelers, since you tend to wheel the snot out of them if that makes any sense.

11. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

4 wheelers or bait for my pungee stick trespasser deterants

12. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

4 wheelers

13. hndswthtshdws

hndswthtshdws Junior Member
    from Canada

4 Wheelers.

We call the sporty ones Quads.

14. venturer

venturer Junior Member
    from MA

Instrument of the Devil

Some people dislike ATV's so much that I've aptly named my 1984 Suzuki 185 the "Instrument of the Devil". The name fits because of how illegal any kind of recreational riding has to be. To some of our more stident detractors, the ATV operator is possessed by the devil so his ride can be none other than an "Instrument of the Devil". I even have homemade stickers on this machine proclaiming it to be the Instrument of the Devil.

Now when I got my 1995 Suzuki 250 4WD and saw those big rear tires compared to that little wheeler, I named the 250 the "Phat Ride", as a play on words for those relatively fat rear tires.

Does anybody else have unique pet names for their ATV, besides the colorful names of when it's helplessly stuck in a snowbank?

15. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

Nah, no pet names. Just ATV, quad, 4wheeler, piece of ****....depends on WHO you talk to and WHEN you talk to them.

16. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

everyone here calls em quads