1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do I pay my son?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by repo_man62, Sep 28, 2005.

1. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

I have a 22 yr. old son who has never plowed before. After I get him trained...what do you think is a fair hourly rate to pay him to run one of my trucks?
  2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I'm anxious to see all the various responses to this myself. I haven't done as much plowing in the last two years as in years prior. I'll start with my limited experience of being hired, contracting more driveways than commercial as my own operation, and not having hired.
    Assuming he trains well, is teacheable and competent, trustworthy, etc.;
    from $15.00.hr to 33% of trucks gross to start. 33% of each job if priced per drive.
    Adjust accordingly as you are able to watch his work, field any complaints, see how well he maintains or abuses the equipment, etc.
  3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I would say $12-15 and hour is fair.

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

$10-$12 you have to remember that all hes doing is sitting in a truck!!!!!!!1 :waving:
  5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Why is this different then paying any other 'virgin' employee? Didn't we already have a thread about that about 3 weeks ago? (Possibly the brand-Y board).

You know, the discussion where I was being called cheap and insulting for suggesting to start a 20 yr old at $12.50.....?

Doesn't seem so far out of the ballpark here, does it?

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Pay him the same you would pay any other employee with that amount of experience. Otherwise you're asking for trouble down the road.
  7. imdawrlus

imdawrlus Member

come on now hes your kid....think of how much money hes gonna be making for you....pay him atleast 15.....hell, pay him 20, but if he has any incidents tell him its going right back down to 15.....
  8. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I wouldn't pay him any different than any other green employee. If he does well, then he can take on more responsibility over time. My father was a large business owner. I started out banging nails, pouring concrete, etc. for him at age 16. It's 3 decades later and I'm the owner. I'm sooo happy that he didn't cut me too many breaks. I learned the business from the ground up and also learned all about the value of a dollar.
  9. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

My 15 yr old is going to learn how to run the shovel and the sand truck this year. He doesn't know it yet, (he he). I'm going to pay him 15.00 hour to sand and 20.00 hr to shovel IF HE DOES A GOOD JOB. If he doesn't, he won't get paid and he knows it. Both of my boys know that I don't stand for a half assed job when it comes to my business. He'll do just fine after a little fine tuning.