1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do i need?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowing ri, Jun 11, 2009.

1. plowing ri

plowing ri Junior Member
    from ri

i plowed last year on a atv and snow blower doing residentials. this year in about a week i am getting a fisher 8ft brandnew plow installed and have already been asked by 3 subcontractors to plow for them. question is with 30-40 residentals 3 small commercial lots and all the subcontracting work what should i have for a crew and what should they do. i have alsways been solo but not any more. i have a 04 gmc 2500 ext cab. so i can have a 4 man crew max. equipment is a plow on truck, atv w/4ft plow, 22inch toro twinstage, toro 21inch singlle stage, shovels. how should i manage everything?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think you need another truck. It isn't going to be very profitable doing driveways with three guys sitting in the truck.

3. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

i agree you might want to consider another truck

4. plowing ri

plowing ri Junior Member
    from ri

what is reasonable pay for shovelers, snow blowers, and a guy in another truck

5. bakerc8

bakerc8 Senior Member

why do you need 4 use 1 or 2

6. cr252many

cr252many Junior Member

Agreed, another truck. Have you looked into mini's with plows? We build vplows and straight blades for them.

DSCF2508.jpg

7. Skid Mark

Skid Mark Member
    from ny

[are mini trucks street legal?] Anyway you need another truck and then you could do the commercials with one shoveler and you could have the another 4 guys go around with the truck snow blowers an atv then the work will be real easy.

8. plowing ri

plowing ri Junior Member
    from ri

the reason i said this is because the subs i am going to work for said to get as many shovelers as i could, because the walks ways are huge and would probly take all day with jhust 1 or two shovelers. the other reason is the the residential i have all have to have shoveled walkways and step so i could kep a few shovelers busy. next all resis are next to each other so i could have on shovel my walkway while i plow and the other two could snow blow the neighbors. i would really rather not buy another truck till next year but ill make my mind up after the first storm.

9. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Since your residentials are next to each other, send the atv possibly with one shoveler to start at one end. Get your commercial done with 1 or 2 extra shovelers/snow throwers and then help out on the back end of the residentials. Or have the atv do the commercial sidewalks while you open the commercial pretty well, hit the residentials then back to finish up the commercial. There are a lot of factors to consider, size/time req. of com. vs. resi. travel distance, and expectations of com. cust.

10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

you said last year "you" plowed residentials w/ 4wheeler.....are these 30-40 resi accounts you mention what you did? If so, send 2 guys out with the 4 wheeler and tools they need to do it. If you did it by yourself then 2 guys should get it done just fine.

Take a guy with you for shoveling, and do your commercial accounts & sub work. Lots of things to consider, like mentioned. I have a small walk crew ( 2 - 3 guys) and they do 90% commercials...it is a small operation in itself and takes a dedicated truck with a bed FULL of salt/spreaders/shovels/tools/etc......

11. plowing ri

plowing ri Junior Member
    from ri

i may add another truck but not a plow on it just send 2 snow blowers in the truck and 2 guys then me and 2 shoelers for commercials the i will help the resis when im done

12. plowing ri

plowing ri Junior Member
    from ri

no i only did 18 resi this year by my self but i have already got more jobs comming up so i should have 30 to 40. and i already won the bids for the commercials thats why i am buying the plow

13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

well then 2 guys with the 4wheeler & tools should easily handle the resi end of things.......leaving you to take care of the commercials and sub work? How much sidewalk work do you have outside of the resi's.......is it just enough for you to bring someone along in the truck? the extra weight of bagged salt/shovel/blower/etc would help with ballast and if your doing alot of sub work, you could be potentialy valuable to who ever your working for, considering you'll be 2 guys, plow truck, tools for sidewalks, & salt and spreaders....you may pick up the salting on some smaller commercial lots by just doing it by hand after plowing. Gotta start somewhere....in fact I have 2 accounts that I always let my walk crew salt the lots on...these lots only take 2 or 3 bags, bigger lots the trucks do......but, there is some work I do that I sub on, and on occasions my walk crew will pick up some extra salt work on small lots when one of the trucks is running behind something.

14. cr252many

cr252many Junior Member

Depends on the state, but yes. Most states that have not legalized them they are considered "farm implement" and can be driven on public roads like you would a front end loader or a tractor.