1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do i need

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by snow-time, Dec 5, 2007.

1. snow-time

snow-time Junior Member
    from iowa

I own a 93 ford ranger xl 2.3l 5 spd and i want to put a plow on it what would be the best setup

thanks snow-time

2. RedneckPlowGuy

RedneckPlowGuy Senior Member

yikes.....thats a somewhat small and underpowered vehicle to put a plow on IMO. id say the smallest plow you can get, is it 4wd?

3. snow-time

snow-time Junior Member
    from iowa

no its 2wd

4. RedneckPlowGuy

ya know dude.....i dont want to discourage you at all or anything, but id say at MINIMUM get a 1/2 ton 4wd truck for plowing, i doubt you could even really move any snow if ya got a good 6" of wet heavy stufff. Where abouts in IA are ya, im in IA too

5. snow-time

snow-time Junior Member
    from iowa

ya i kno im looking at getting a 95 f150 flareside and i live in sioux city

6. RedneckPlowGuy

oh ok, im over east of ya in Mason CIty. how old are ya anyway?

7. snow-time

snow-time Junior Member
    from iowa

im 16 and you have any recomendations on certain trucks

8. RedneckPlowGuy

ok, i figured you were teenage area, id say if you want to get SERIOUS about this, buy a 3/4 ton 4wd truck and get a nice 7.5 to 9 foot plow. However, you need customers first, and a new plow now days is around 4k to 6k dollars. So id say look for a good used plow like i am until you can afford a new one and still have money to fall back on if needed. However, im new to this as well and only giving my small amt. of advice that i know. Hopefully some others will chime in with a more professional answer.

9. snow-time

snow-time Junior Member
    from iowa

you getting snow over there yet

10. RedneckPlowGuy

nope, you gettin any there??
    you have MSN or AIM or anything?

11. snow-time

snow-time Junior Member
    from iowa

12. RedneckPlowGuy

ok i added ya to my MSN, better than filling up this with chit chat

13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

A 10 foot Frink would go great on that truck.:bluebounc

I'd try to trade your Ranger for a 4x4 truck. Even a 4x4 Ranger with a 6 - 6.6' plow wouldn't be bad for light work.

14. snow-time

snow-time Junior Member
    from iowa

im looking for a 95 f150 flareside

15. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Why the flareside? Less room for anything.

16. G-rott

G-rott Junior Member

How about four good snow tires, insulated bibs and a jacket, goggles, some ramps and a 10-12hp snowblower and a nice broadcast spreader for sand and salt.

Get a good start doing walks and other stuff the guys with 3/4 tons and 8' blades can't/won't get into.

Cheaper than a truck and you can see if yur realy want to be in the business.

Garett

17. snow-time

snow-time Junior Member
    from iowa

yeah i have all the clothing and i have been doing walks and driveways with a snowblower for the past two and a half years im lookin at including plowing. :)