1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what do I need?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PremierLand, Jun 24, 2006.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I have a 2000 F350 with a 3-5yd dump.

I want to get a salt spreader for it, not the inbed kind though, I want the kind where you put the salt right in the bed and then it spits it out underneath or whatever.

What is that called, and what is a good brand?

Thanks.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Under tailgate - usually designated as UTG in the nomenclature. Fisher/Western are good, but I'm sure there are others.

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Mark
    The truck needs live hydrolic's not a electric hydrolic pump to run a under tailgate spreader. Alot of the small dumps do not have live hydrolics.

Regards Mike

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Mark

They have under tailgate and also replacement tailgate. I have a under tailgate and find when the box is all the way up the spinner hits the ground. You would be better off with the replacement tailgate. Go to www.bonnell.com and look for a R161-DD.

I think you want to put some sort of box liner in the bed that makes the salt slide easily. It will allow you to drive around with the box up only slightly and the material will still slide down.

5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Mark You mean the spreader that is like on my F-350 dump. (see pic) Its a swenson under tailgate. Its a great spreader, Only wish mine was stainless. But I do have the central hydraulics. The central is about $3500 and the spreader is about $3000. Your best bet is getting a gas driven V-box

swenson spreader2.jpg

6. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

hey mark...been a long time

i would deff get central hydros installled and get a hydro under tailgate....its the only way to go with a dump, that way you can maximize your load and still be able to have full use of your dump, which comes in real handy durring those transition weeks during spring and fall when you might be doing a landscape job durring the day then have to spread salt at night.

like everone is saying
    central hydro kit + plumbing is going to run you around 3-4K
    The under tailgate will be around 2-2.5K

but its all worth it at 2 am when all you have to do is flick a switch and go, instead of tring to monkey with a pony motor in a v-box....theres no comparing the 2

I would call Tony at Cannon Truck Equipment and have him work you up some prices and just go for it payup payup payup