1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Do I Need to Know 7.3?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by NBI Lawn, Feb 10, 2012.

1. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Going to look at an '01 Ford F250 CCSB 4x4 7.3 today. Truck has 114,000 miles on it and the guy claims its in "great" shape which I interpret as being in average shape.

What are the issues with these truck? I have heard something about the oil pans being bad but not sure what goes bad on them or how you can tell? I know little to nothing about these trucks but it is local, the right color and the miles seem good. Also, what is a fair price for a truck in good shape?

Its an XLT, with most options... PW/PL, rear slider, nerf bars, P.seat, etc. Again the guy said its "loaded" but it isn't a Lariat.

Thanks for any advice Thumbs Up

2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Commom issues are doors & tailgates rusting out, oil pans etc... We have had issues with brake caliper pistons sticking if they don't get driven enough and with glow plugs, if they don't all work you could walk past it with an ice cream cone and they won't start. We have also had broken rear leaf springs on both of ours, but alot of that maybe becuase of overloading etc...

But overall they are good trucks, I have a 99 and 2000 both are around 150,000 and overall have been solid trucks!

If you don't buy it send me the info I maybe interested!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  3. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Id say if you can live with the normal rust on the body, the oil pan may be the biggest thing to look at. I had ours replaced last spring at the tune of $1200. by a diesel guy who did it as a side job. They can be done in the truck, but according to the guy who did ours, the proper way is to remove the engine from the truck. I had estimates to have it done both ways and it was $300 more to have it done correctly (well worth the money)
    Also, I would check over the suspension. Look for loose ball joints, tie rod ends, leaking gear box and broken leaf springs
    One last thing, check to see if the windshield has ever been replaced. My buddy has a 00 350 that was leaking water down the firewall on the inside from a windshield leak, and took out the GEM cell. Fortunately his insurance took care of it, but it was expensive.

4. 4wydnr

4wydnr Senior Member
    from N. IL

2001 automatics had a diode in the transmission that is a known weak point. Took my trans out at 118k.

Like said above oil pan rust. The glow plugs arent a huge issue usually the solenoid goes out which is an easy fix.

5. KC2LLW

KC2LLW Member

I have a 2002 dually,I replaced my Cam sensor 2 times, front hub bearings and ball joints once and a water pump did all the work myself. Other than that I think it's a great engine.I love my truck I currently have 103,000 just breaking in.

6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the tips guys. As it turns out it was a 5.4 V8 NOT a 7.3 V8. Not sure where the lines got crossed there, oh well.

7. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Oil pan rust out... Its the best diesel motor out there!