1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do i need to finish my ultra mount set up?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Boostedford, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Boostedford

Boostedford Junior Member

I'm somewhat new to plowing and also new to this forum, so let me start off by saying Hi everybody!.. I have a few questions about my ultra mount set up that I'm putting on my 02 Ford f350, I just picked up the plow and don't have any of the wiring or isolation modules. All I do have is the plow, truck bracket and the hand held controller (not the joystick type). So my question is which isolation module and wire harness's do I need to finish my install? And also if anyone can help explain the purpose of the isolation module, cause I'm still confuse on what its actual purpose is? Thanks in advance, Eric

2. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

How many plugs are on your plow 2 or 3? that will answer some of your question about which iso you need.

3. Boostedford

I have three plugs I believe, one plug has two big pins in it which I assume is pos and neg for the motor. The other two were plugged into eachother but I believe that was just for storage, one of those plugs goes to a box on the side of the motor and the other goes up to the lights.. thx for the response!

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The isolation module switches the lights from the truck to the plow when it is connected. If the truck lights stayed on they would just hit the back of the blade and blind you. The iso module also passes on the power from the marker lights and signals. It takes a signal from the signals and marker that trips relays in the module which sends battery power on to the plow signals and markers. It doesn't actually use the power from the signal / marker wires to light the bulbs. It just uses this to trigger these relays. The module also passes on the high and low beam to the plow. The iso module has nothing to do with plow controls. The relays used to perform these operations in the same way, the isolation module just puts all the relays in one box, preassembled and preconnected. Iso modules now come with three ports, and the older one had four ports but they are basic ally the same except the three port has a single headlight cable in a Y which splits to right and left side. The four port has two headlight cables, one for right and one for left.

5. Boostedford

Thx mishnick that was very helpful in understanding why I need the module and what it actually does thx.. So correct me if I'm wrong but I still need a harness that ties into my headlights, parking lights, etc, on the truck side and then plugs into that ISO module and would that have to be specific to a Ford vehicle? Also I believe I would need a harness from the ISO module to the headlights plug on the plow as well? One other thing, since the ISO module only controls the lights does my hand controller run straight to the plug that's on the plow without any module in between?

6. mishnick

There is a vehicle specific headlight harness that goes from the original headlamp plugs to the isolation module. This cable takes the signal from the vehicle and either sends it back to the vehicle bulbs, if the plow is not there, or redirects it to the plow.

Next there is a cable from the output of the isolation module to the grill and on to the plow lights.

There is also the control cable that goes from the hand held controller to the power relay, to the grill plug and to an adapter that ties it into the headlight harness.

If you tell me the make, model, year and headlamp type I can look up the parts you need... Headlamp will be HB1 HB5 etc, it is usually stamped into the clear cover in front of the bulb. Will also be written on the bulb if they are not sealed beams. Also tell me if there is one or two headlamps on each side.

Have a look at page 3 of this link. It will show you an overview of the electrical system you will be installing for your plow. http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/29206.09_050111.pdf

7. Boostedford

Thanks again mishnick, the link was very helpful!.. I would appreciate it if you could look up those parts for me, my truck is a 2002 Ford F350 7.3 diesel, and the headlights say H13 on the front lens and I also check the bulbs and they said the same... Also the plow has a single headlight on either side..

8. mishnick

Quick match says that the headlights must be either HB5 or 2B? Are you sure they are H13? Perhaps I am selecting an incorrect option. The truck is 4X4 with dual real wheels or single? Regular cab, crew cab or super cab? Cab & chassis, 6.8 ft or 8.8 ft box? Pull a headlamp bulb out if you can and read what is printed on the base of the bulb. We need to verify that it really is H13. Perhaps you could give me your VIN number then I could look up your factory specs.

9. Boostedford

Ahh I totally forgot to mention that I converted the headlights to the newer one piece 05-07 model style, its a 4x4, single rear wheel, super cab, 6.8 bed.. I checked the bulbs again and.they def say h13, I sure if you put the same specs in but for and 05-07 it would prob come up wit the h13's. Sry for the confusion..

10. mishnick

Ok now that makes sence, no problem with the special headlights. You will need the 29049 headlamp harness kit and the 29070 isolation module. Assuming you have a straight blade and not a V plow here are the other parts you need for the truck. Short cable from battery + to relay: 22511 Main power cable from relay & ground to grill: 63411 Main power relay: 56131K Control cable from controller to grill: 26345 Iso module to grill plow headlight cable: 26357.

That should be all you need. Here is a link to a manual that shows the schematic you need to get things going. It shows all the part numbers near the end, page eight. http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/64295.08_121507.pdf

11. Boostedford

Mishnick thx a ton! Got all my harnesses and module on order and ill be plowing in no time!!!

12. mishnick

It's been a pleasure helping you, this is all great practice for me. The more experience I get with these challanges the better chance I have to succeed when I go to work for myself. Hopefully next year I will have my own shop and will become an authorized Western dealer. good luck with the installation.