1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do i need to buy?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by zsienkiewicz149, Dec 5, 2010.

1. zsienkiewicz149

zsienkiewicz149 Junior Member

I am looking into starting to plow but have never done this before.

I have a 2006 f150 5.4 v8 engine 4x4 crew cab.

I want to know what i need to buy for a snow plow.....I know the blade, but have no clue what else i needed. I mean all the components that are needed to start plowing!

Anyone with ideas of brands that i should buy would be helpful!

Thanks in advance

Zach

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Most of the plow vendors' websites let you key in the type of vehicle that you have, and they'll then tell you what type of plow they have that you can choose from.

You'll probably have to stick with the lighter weight plows.

I had a 1999 Expedition with the 5.4l that I had a 7.5' Sno Way plow on. Worked great for what I was doing, but I wanted a V plow and something that wasn't a full blade trip, so my next truck was a 2006 F-350 with a solid axle and stronger components.

3. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

commercial auto insurance for your truck.
    general liability insurance if your getting your own work. I dunno but some companys if you sub under them may also need it.

4. Not to discourage you,but at this point of the season, unless you know others who plow and who are able to give you a good amount of work this winter, you may be better off waiting till next season. There are several reasons for this. One is that if you do not have enough work to justify it now, save your money as you may need it for somrthing else later. This will also give you some time to shop around looking for a good deal on a used setup etc. Sure if your area is anything like mine every spring there are a bunch of guys that didnt make the "pot of gold" they were expecting the last winter and are looking to offload their rigs. This time of year is probably also when used rigs are going for the most they will all year. Waiting will also allow you to do more research on the snow removal market in your area and see if you will be able to make the kind of money you are looking for and need to cover your expenses. My suggestion to you would be to get a snowblower and shovel and try to find some plow contractors in your area who may need help in that way. This will also allow you to make relationships with other guys in your area, that may help get you work if you get a plow. It will also show you what is involved in the job and help you decide if it is something you want to do. Also ther is a chance someone may allow you some seat time in thier rig so once again you will get a feel for it as well as some experience.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

the search function is your friend
    happy reading