1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do I need for an F-250 conversion?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by boner, Dec 13, 2011.

Tags:
  1. boner

boner Junior Member

I have the opportunity to buy a 2004 F-250 supercab 5.4 automatic without a plow.

This will be used to plow one driveway -- a 1/2 mile gravel driveway with grades of up to 14%.

Axle:
    4400 Front GAWR

My father has a 1977 F-250 with an old plow on it--the kind with a hydraulic pump mounted on the engine and a chain controlling the plow drop. Unfortunately, this truck, like its predecessor, is about to snap on the frame rails.

1) Can I plow with 4400 front springs. I don't care if the front end droops as long as it is drivable.
    2) Can I move the plow?
    3) What would it cost to set up this truck to plow reasonably well?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You can plow with a 4400lbs front axle
    the old plow should stay on the old truck
    around 5K +/- for a decent new unit for your truck.

A yearly coat of Fluid Film will help prevent frame rust.

3. boner

boner Junior Member

Thanks! Any downsides to using the 4400 springs? I can run a lighter plow.

A bit late on the frame -- the 86 F250 snapped in half while we were driving it, and the 77 is sagging.

4. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

you should be able to pick up a decent used meyer plow for around 1500 on craigslist that will fit your exact truck

5. xjsnake

xjsnake Member
    from NW Ohio

If you are looking at used plows be careful. Ford changed the F-250 slightly in the middle of the 2004 model year and the plow mounts for some plow brands are different depending on if you have an early 2004 or a late 2004.

6. boner

boner Junior Member

Thanks everyone!