1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What do I do with 2 in. of slush?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TheKing, Jan 3, 2006.

1. TheKing

TheKing Junior Member

I have this lot that is my highest paying lot but the biggest PITA. I went to check on it and there is about 2 in of slush mess on it. I tried to plow it but just made a mess. How can I get rid of it before 7 am tomarrow. I have a feeling these people aren't 100% happy with me and they need it plowed now matter how little snow because it consists of many doctors offices and there are a lot of disabled people walking though it and they always fall or complain.
    Salt? Grit? Let the rain melt it? Keep pushing it around?

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

plow it then salt it

3. TheKing

TheKing Junior Member

will the salt get rid of the slush?

4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

ya as the salt breaks down into brine it will melt off the slush but if it is 2" deep plow it first and it will work better

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry for stating the obvious but plow until its gone, it cant be that difficult. Otherwise, salt, rain and mild temps will get rid of 2" of slush pretty quick.

6. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

This is where a urethane edge is a great thing to have

7. BIG DRIFT

BIG DRIFT Member

Why Joe.

BD

8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

It can be a fricken nightmare with a straight blade. You literally cant move the slop any ware because once you hit any speed it rolls right off the blade. Try doing cleanups (long runs with slop), you will understand quickly what he is going threw.

Urethane edges act like a squeegee so they tend to wipe the pavement clean.

This is a situation were scoops or wings will pay off quick. Containment is the issue here and that is why your struggling.
    Slow it down when straight blading as well or by the time you get to your pile, everything rolled off the sides.

Like the rest of the guys stated plow it and salt it.

Todd

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I agree,
    Angle the blade all of the way over and keep at it.
    It can be a pain to clean up a lot of slush.

10. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

Are you using plow shoes?

Wonder how your getting such a mess. Without seeing your plow, I am wondering if your have the shoes on. If you have your plow shoes on. Take them off. Get right on the surface.

J & B

11. Runner

Runner Senior Member

That is a very good point. You have to scrape it clean. Sometimes, it's a litle slower going, but it's surely possible. We've done it hundreds of times.

12. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

We apply salt the day before then comein and do final cleanup,Do you try pushing the slop with the blade turned or do you have it straight?and it does sound like you have shoes on the plow so take the shoes off and turn the blade away from obstructions

13. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Your absolutely right about needing to plow it, because if for some reason the weather man is wrong:eek: and the temps drop, now you have rutty ice. The advice given has been spot on. Angle the blade full right or left if using straight blade, make sure shoes are off. It takes about 20% longer to plow because you can't take big bites, but you will get it done, then salt.

Also, spend the $200 and get some friggin' ProWings. I wish to heck I had them last winter. They will pay for themselves in two trips with the time saved.

Oh, keep the lines of communication open with your clients, I lost my Key account last year because I thought everything was great (they had blacktop all winter) but come spring they threw a hissy fit at the final bill and did not resign me this year.:cry:

14. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

If it is really bad and you can't windrow it off the sides of the lot, head for a sewer grate. Keep pushing everything together towards it/them as the lot should be graded towards it/them. This will allow large amounts of the water to run away on its own and make your life easier. The more water you drain away, the less it is like pushing a 4x8' sheet of plywood thru a swimming pool.

You may even need to leave it for a little bit to drain on its own.

The remainder should be more solid material and easier to push into your piles.

Follow up with a good salting to clear anything left. You definately want to get the majority off and melt the rest.

As for the shoes, I've never needed to take them off but I guess it would make it easier to push water around.

15. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

They are like a squeegee on the wet stuff. You get the best performance out of them at that time I think. Add some wings and they will do even better.

16. BIG DRIFT

BIG DRIFT Member

Thank You BD

17. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Another tip is to go sllooowwww....

I did a Famous Daves restaurant today. Usually takes about 20-30 minutes to plow, spent just over an hour today.

If you go slow, it'll look like when a grader grades a dirt road, you just keep sliding the windrow over 4-5', plus your plow will do a 100% better job of scraping, since it'll get under the edge of the slush / hard pack.

If you have to push it all to one area, and aren't able to push it all to one side, then work one side towards the middle, then the other side towards the middle, then put the plow straight and push it where it needs to go.

Again, you have to go slow, since the snow / slush will slop everywhere. Then go back and push it all from one side to the middle, then back to the other side and to the middle, and repeat. Repeat again and again. This is the biggest reason a "V" or 810 plow is nice.

18. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

I get this issue all the time with one of my gas stations. Big lot, only a couple places to pile. They don't want salting and we had a slow snowfall on New Years eve that amounted to just about 2" depending on where you were. Well less then 2" of slush isn't worth plowing since you kinda just disperse it everywhere. Oh salting would of taken care of that so much more readiliy.