1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what do do with more snow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jerseydrew, Jan 27, 2011.

1. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

what do you guys do when you have run out of places to put snow and all your stacks are as high as you can make them? i am good right now but if we get another storm before some of this melts i am gonna be in a rough position. what is the solution?
  2. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

truck it or melt it........
  3. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

Just brought a loader into 8 of my commercial accounts to relocate snow on the properties themselves. everyone gone charged just about an hour of loader time at $250. These are things we never had to deal with in NJ and I explained this to my customers. With a clipper sat and possible coastal next week, I need to get a tractor into about 50 of my driveways to make more room.
  4. njsnowremoval

njsnowremoval Senior Member

man i hear ya CJ7plowing im using a snow blower this year and its been a Pita doing driveways. the snows stacked up 5 feet high and the blower wont throw it high enough.
  5. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I've typically had some space issues with some lots, but never with any of my residentials...this year would be the first for that. The people I plow would never be able to afford me to come with equipment to move snow, so I'll just have to get creative

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Pile next to ,not on top of, drain. Big torpedo heater and a lot of time.
  7. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

On my resi's I've been making cuts in the existing banks //, back dragging as much as possible, turning around and filling the cuts from the other direction\\. Takes a little time and you have to be careful not to get the blade hung up in all the old snow/ice. but it makes a little space. Sent out bills today, customers would s#!% if they had to pay another bill for equipment time.
  8. M&M

M&M Senior Member

This is what I did in Feb 08 when I ran out of room at my residentials. I called the customers who I though/knew needed snow relocation. Not removal. Relocation on their property. Explained to them that it would be based on time spent at their property but roughly between X and Y. 80% said yes without a doubt. 10% did not want to pay that much so we agreed on "limited work" for less price. The other 10% flat out refused the work. I work in a fairly affluent area so I think that helped out. I rented a loader, had it delivered at my first customer and drove it to each customer. I worked for 12 hours and billed out a PHAT paycheck for myself.

This work was created my me. I mentioned this in another thread but I feel there is a lot of money to made due to the amount of snow out there. Go get boys! Don't be afraid to charge on the high side of things for this service but make sure they get what they expect.
  9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

haul it away and BILL for your time
  10. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

Call around to the local excavating companies if you dont have the iron for the job... im sure they are chopping at the bit to get some work this time of year... find someplace just outa town with a big open lot and pay the owner a few bills to dump snow their..
  11. This is a great problem to have!!! Love being able to bill that big$$$ for the equipment and hauling to bring it out to my property to dump!!! Love taking my fellow contractors money for letting them dump thier snow on my property or using my equipment to load/haul it!! I'll have piles on my land till may but thats just fine with me!
  12. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

i know people cant afford it. but neither can we. dont break your plows and trucks trying to push back piles. this is not our fault, its mother natures. monday im going around to driveways with a kubota to pus back driveway edges. mine are about 4' walls down the drivewasy now. my new boss xt (extra tall) flared v plow cant even throw the snow high enough

on a side note, ive never been paid so fast in a winter. people are fearful of losing me for the first tiem and payine on time!
  13. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

We did relocation for several commercial properties after a large storm a couple of weeks ago and now most of them and several others will need it again. Not to mention a bunch of the residentials. I agree its a great problem to have. Just need enough time in between storms to do it!! I haven't had more than a day off this past month due to all the snow. I only have a skid steer and a kubota. Its tough getting to everyone, especially when the commercials are taking about a day each.