1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What diode to use on solenoid?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by snowdays, Jan 2, 2013.

1. snowdays

snowdays Senior Member
    from Ohio

Does anyone know the value or type of the diode to use on a solenoid.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Any 1N4001, 1N4002 or 1N4003 type works fine. They're not too fussy.

3. snowdays

snowdays Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks! I assume those are the industry standard part numbers? Does it polarity matter how it is wired in with the diode?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes they're the standard numbers so you can source them at your favorite place of purchase. To properly connect one across the solenoid coil place the striped end on the positive coil terminal. Then of course the opposite end on the negative terminal. Cover the diode with heat shrink for the best longevity.

5. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

Explain to new what the diode is for. Never seen one on a plow

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A diode is used to suppress the voltage spike from the collapsing coil in the solenoid when it's released. Modern electronics can be very very sensitive to them and although some solenoids are diode suppressed internally it never hurts to add an external one when you can't clarify for certainty. They will also add a some life to mechanical switches, ie toggles or micro switches inside a controller.

7. snowdays

snowdays Senior Member
    from Ohio

Do they also help with or eliminate the "kickback" when you let go of the angle function? Mine has a Slik Stick with an E60 pump. It seems that when you turn the blade to the right and let go, it will come back to the left just slightly.

8. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Snowdays, the diode will not help with that, but a capacitor will. The cap is installed in parallel to the c-valve wiring (green wire usually) and will hold the c-valve open slightly longer than the pump runs to eliminate the slam/come back to left when using the slick stick. If you search here for capacitor and my name you should find the details, if not I will try to dig it up. I think it's like 30k uF that I used. Got it for like $6 at digikey and worked great. I believe the cap has polarity as well, it's been a couple of years.

9. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

JCByrd24, I cannot find your post with the info, would you mind linking me to it?
    thanks in advance.
    Really all I need to know is what size and how to mount it? In line or along side?
    thanks

10. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

I guess I didn't create a dedicated post. I did find the size is 33000 uF (micro farad) and it is installed in parallel ( I think that's what you are calling along side) with the c-coil. Note though that parallel doesn't have to be close to the c-valve out in the weather. Mine is under the dash, + side run to a tap in the green wire from control to coil, - side run to a local ground.

This is how it works: When you activate your slick stick or dual switches, the c-coil activates and the capacitor also charges very quickly. When you let go of the switch the capacitor is then a power source for the c-coil for a fraction of a second, just long enough to keep the valve open while the pump stops and the fluid momentum disipates.

11. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Awesome! Thank you, I will try and pick up a cap. this week at RS. :mechanic:

12. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Just a heads up, RS might not have one that big. From memory it's the size of a C battery roughly.

13. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

AH! I will search the net then :mechanic:
    thank you again