1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What did you plow with...

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Pinky Demon, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Before getting your Boss plow of choice? Why'd you make the switch?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Used a Fisher with the company I worked for. Went right to Boss without looking at anything else.

3. contractor078

contractor078 Senior Member

i had a meyer 7-6 ploy plow went to an 8-2 poly VXT and love it there is no way i would go back or to any thing else

4. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Use a Boss and Western. Love both of them!

5. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

circa 1977..... My first plows were Swenson 7-6's .(How many of you have had one of them?)

circa 1990....After those , I went to a 9 foot Meyer. I sold the brand new,stock pump and installed an under-the-hood Monarch pump.

circa last winter... Bought the Boss 8.2V! .... Always wanted a V... Why the Boss? They were the first V I had ever seen....waaayyyy back when ...... After researching all the plows sold in my area...I decided on the Boss because of ... 1)overall quality, 2)ease of use of the Smartouch controls,and 3)I liked the way the Boss hooked and unhooked from the truck.
    .................. I've never had a second thought of my decission!! ..................................

(btw, my son works for a dealer that sells three different brand 'X' plows) :D

6. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

How's that poly job working out for you? That's what I was looking to buy this week.

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Fisher RD 7 1/2 (now called a HD 7 1/2) Ive had 4 of them I think they are GREAT plows
    got a boss because its the lightest V plow out there.

8. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I had Western. Have plowed with my friends Meyer. I have had issues with the Conventional style Western before with the control, pump and lift arm. My buddy has a Uni mount and Ultra mount Westerns. He has some issues with the Uni ( pump and electric). And only a minor issue with the Ultra. As for Meyer, lets just say problems with just about everything. I only used it a few times. That plow was replaced with a 9' Boss SD straight two years ago and he hasn't looked back either.
    I decided to go with Boss because of what i heard about it here on PS and from other people that i know. ;) My first one was a 8' SD straight. I bought it used in very good condition. No problems, I sold the blade for a 8'2" Poly V only because I got a slammin' deal on it. This one was also used. I am very happy with it. I don't think I'll use anything else but Boss. i think they are built very well, very fast, I like the Smart Hitch/Touch. I would like to get an expandable one day, a Wideout. I have been trying to talk my buddy into putting one on his truck.
    JMO

9. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

I will admit, the Wideouts are incredible plows. They just require a lot of truck to really use them. IMO, 3500 w/ DRW a must. I probably would have had a 8.5 MVP by now, but then I heard about the center pin issues, and the fact that that pin is a non grease-able unit, unless you remove it entirely.

10. Quality SR

My buddy has a Chevy 2500 6.0 ECSB. I think it can hadle it. I dont know much about the MVP, so i dont know about the center hinge issue. I know guys that use them and love them. Grease mine every storm, or after ever every storm. I just been having good luck with my Boss so there is no reason to think about changing brands.

11. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Why would you need a DRW?

12. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

had a 1978 meyer st-90 with e-47 pump was the most reliable plow from meyer i had ever seen me and two of my friends went in to the local boss dealer bought 2 brand new 8'2" v-xt's and a used conventional 8'2" v-plow and they gave us a sizeable discount and we all researched all v-plows and came out to boss being the winner mainly in the are of sales service and parts availability in our area

13. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Because when you start pushing really, really heavy stuff in full form, you are going to want that extra girth behind you.

14. Quality SR

Plenty of guys on here with SRW's with Wideout's, XLS's and 810's. Even some 8611's. They seem to handle just fine.

15. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

I wouldn't hedge any bets. I thought my 2500 was the bees knees until I started really looking long and hard at new plows.

16. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

I've also heard of those same guys have stress fractures from plowing through heavy stuff with the full width out. Just my opinion, I personally wouldn't without extra girth. A 3500 would be a minimum for me.

17. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

duals are not neccasary for plowing your better off with srw and a reasonable amount of ballast

18. Quality SR

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  19. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

I would agree with you, but when your doing your thing with a wideout and it's thick and nasty out, I would rather a little bit more truck behind me, just because how heavy it gets.

20. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

I know, I know, 250s can plow, you aren't understanding what I'm saying. I personally have a 250 for plowing, but IF I got a plow as big as the WIDEOUT, I would rather have a larger, heavier truck for when the snow gets wet, and nasty, and you got to take it places.

Overall, if you plan to keep the truck long term, it will be easier on the vehicle.