1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what did you guys pay to have HD fan clutch installed.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Joesno, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

my truck is overheating and i have been told i need to buy A heavy duty Fan clutch. I was just wondering if any of you have had this installed and what you payed to have it done?
  2. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

Had same problem with my 05 gmc hd that was out of warranty. Took dealer and it cost 377.00 installed. I know I got hosed but they were the only ones that could do that day as snow came that night. Everything has been fine since the fan clutch was installed. Have a 7.6 western pro poly on truck. Plowed 2 times since installed along with highway driving and still no problems.
  3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Do it yourself and borrow the tools from an auto zone or advanced auto. But I only hear guys taking them to the dealer and paying 300 and up for a job that will take you an hour if that..
  4. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

what he said

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I just paid like 80 bucks for a extreme duty one at Auto Zone, and it took me all of 30 min to do. Its really easy to do.
  6. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

they aren't difficult at all.
  7. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

wicked easy did it myself in under an hr, i think the part cost like 67 bucks, not sure though did it 3 yrs ago
  8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Yep, do it yourself. You need very basic tools and a 1/2 hr of your time. Maybe 45 if you take a beer break or two:D:drinkup:
  9. mnic

mnic Junior Member

what about flex fans through summit? i used one on my 85 k20 and it never crossed the 160 degree mark
  10. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i have a gm unit new in box for sale in sale section. search my screen name to find it. and make me a good offer if you dont like the price.
  11. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

Im only 19 but I figure if you cant work on your own vehical you shouldnt own one. Just think of how low gas would be then :drinkup:
  12. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I did it myself, borrowed the special wrench from work, took about 45 mins. Not a bad job at all to do.

Good Luck Mike
  13. bersh

bersh Senior Member

The updated GM part will run you about $125 shipped from gmpartsdirect.com. You need part # 15710101. I had to buy the special wrench, it was about $45. My dealer quoted me about $300 for the job, so even though I had to buy the tool, I'm still money ahead. As was mentioned, it took about 40 minutes to install, and was pretty easy to do.

This was for a 2004 2500HD. While plowing or driving with the plow on I was flirting with overheating and the tranny temps were always pushing 200°+ before the installation. Since installing the new part, temps are now back to normal.
  14. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

quick question.... does the updated fan clutch make the tranny temps lower too?? I noticed that not only the engine temp rises while driving, the tranny temp does as well!
  15. bersh

bersh Senior Member

It helped with mine considerably.
  16. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Chevy Kid
    I did a trans filter change at the same time, changed to fluid to Amsoil. Temps now run lower, both the engine temp and trans temp. The other thing to keep in mind is keep the blade low when traveling and try to stay off the expressways. The truck does not like higher speeds.

Regards Mike
  17. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Thanks guys.... I got on the phone a little while ago and found the factory chevrolet updated fan clutch was $205 at the local dealer... Called AutoZone and they had a heavy duty one with a lifetime warranty for $69. I got the cheap one for now. I would have thought that it comes with a new fan as well, So it is just the fan clutch that needs to be replaced??
  18. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

thats the gm part i have for sale # 15710101 box in hand brand new .

someone make me a deal as i dont need it and run older stuff now.
  19. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Yea just the clutch...
  20. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I was lucky I got mine done under warranty on my 03. It dropped the engine temp and the trans temp.