1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What did you get with your Boss V Plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Duncan IN, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Duncan IN

Duncan IN Member

I just bought a Boss V plow and I ordered the smart lock cylinders and the smart touch control unit. Boss sent me my Smartlock Cylinders but did not include the standard cylinders. Has this happened to any of you guys? I feel they owe me the standard cylinders because I paid 200$ extra for the smartlock. I have yet to install it due to the holiday. Also do any of you guys recommend getting the snow deflector and the emergency kit that they have?

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I don't know much about Boss plows.

However i believe the 200 dollar charge for the smart lock cylinders, is the cost to upgrade from the regular cylinders. This doesn't mean you get both sets, you pay 200 dollars more you get the better ones. They keep the cheaper ones.

Geoff

3. Duncan IN

Duncan IN Member

OK...

Ok, lets say john doe already has a plow, how much does it cost him to order the smartlock cylinders. Are they 200 or are they alot more. I can't imagine paying 150 to 200$ each for a small cylinder. that all it does is lock when it is in the strait position. I think they should give the standard cylinders with it

Last edited: Nov 22, 2001
  4. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Geoff is correct, the $200 is for an upgrade of cylinders and you do not get both sets. As for the price of the standard cylinders you ought to be able to call a local dealer and find out. Personally I think all plows ought to have snowdeflectors, as for the emergency kit, it would depend on how close your dealer is and if they are open late night or all night. It never hurts to have spare parts on hand with you.

5. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Posts here are true.

Rough numbers:
    Standard cylinders=$75.00 each.
    Smartlock cylinders=$175.00 each.

Why the (huge) difference? Standard cylinders like that have been around for 70 years and they make zillions of them. The smartlock feature is a Boss specialty requiring specialized equipment and they only make an relative handful.

Spare parts kit? Of course! Time is money.

Plow flap? Certianly if your plowing calls for it: Big lots, private roads, large areas, etc.

6. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Our Boss plows are equipped identically, with the smart locks and the touchy pad. I didn't expect to get the regular cylinders too, nor the standard (non-touchy) pad when I paid and picked the truck back up.

(Similarly, when I buy trucks and upgrade the tires from the factory, I don't expect the other four to be sitting in the back of the truck.)

Have fun with your Boss - you'll like the hydraulic speed.

7. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

We own a dozen Boss V's. We buy the deflectors via aftermarket. Much cheaper and do the same job.

www.j-thomas.com has them, and that's where we buy them.