1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What did you first start out with?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by brookline, Dec 2, 2009.

1. brookline

brookline Senior Member

I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone started out with and how far they have come. This is my first year with a plow. I started two years ago with a snow blower on some residential driveways the I did lawn maintenance on. Never finaced anything hence all the used equipment until I am large enough to feel comfortable taking on more payments. So.. How did you start and how long ago?
  2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I started with a rusty 1976 Chevy K-10 short bed with a 7'6" conventional cable style western plow on it.

Now we have 5 trucks all newer diesels, that is all in the last 10 years.
  3. brookline

brookline Senior Member

:drinkup:Wow that's awesome! Hope to get there someday. Keep up the good work man
  4. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

there is a thread out there like this i cant find it in the serch but i do remember one out there for sure.
  5. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

this thread is also worthless with out pictures!
  6. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

Well i started out by going to the auction and bidding on a ford explorer without any money.he bid paid $2000 for it and called my uncle to pay for. Did a couple landscape jobs and paid him back that was last year in may. then in november i bought a 90 gmc broken down blown tranny for $1000 with plow and now i have that truck sold the explorer and now have a 1997 f150. i also now have a 42" skidsteer and a mini excavator that i got this year.

Next year i will be buying either a single axle or tandem axle dump and a backhoe or loader.
  7. 4wydnr

4wydnr Senior Member
    from N. IL

In my opinion I wouldn't ever take out a loan on snow removal equip. Do some research I'll bet 100% of reposessed equipment had a lien against it. I think you are on the exact right track, starting small with paid for equipment. Save up for the next purchase and find some poor s.o.b. that stretched himself too far and get a deal by paying cash.
  8. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I started my business in the spring of '07 with my 95 GMC. Now I have the four trucks in my sig, an 84 Chevy K20 project truck, 2 trailers, 2 mowing crews worth of equipment, a procharged Trans Am, and just bought a home in July . Thats in less than 3 years. Everything is paid for cash minus my home. I have worked my a$$ off to say the least.
  9. brookline

brookline Senior Member

I'm not sure many people still have pictures of something they may have started out with many years ago...
  10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I started out with a 94 F150 heavy half ton, a 7.5 Meyers poly plow and a Meyers mini jr. salt spreader. We subbed out with 2 different companies. Since 2003 we've gone out on our own with a 06 F-250 Super Duty w/8.6 Fisher Extreme SS V blade, a 00 GMC 1 ton 4x4 dump w/a 8ft Fisher with wings, we have gone through several salt spreaders and now just run a Fisher 1000 and 2 liquid salt set ups, and 3 snow blower's - 1 Ariens 28" w that hardly gets used, a Toro single stage something or other and another Toro 2 stage. Went from me, myself and I to me and 4 employee's and a couple subs. I found a nice looking older Chevy 1 ton flat bed w/Fisher plow I am going to look at tomorrow.
  11. brookline

brookline Senior Member

wow! That's definatlt coming a long way in short time.

Nice. Thanks 4wydr, I am trying to think long term for sure and pay cash as much as possible
  12. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I started in 1986 with an F150 and 7 1/2 fisher RD one year later I got a Jeep for backup. I plowed once with the Jeep and sold the truck.

I now have 2 jeeps with 107 customers and growing..
  13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

That Jeep is SWEET! with the v blade.
  14. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

theplowmeister - You get my vote for the best driveway rig on the site.
  15. dchr

dchr Senior Member

Started out in 1986 with an 1973 International Scout with a Manually angled plow. All my equipment and tools (construction equipment included) always paid for in cash.xysport
  16. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I have a 94 Chevy 2500 meyer . I got her with 111 K now 300K plus I still drive it. I also have a 95 Chevy 2500 with a meyer . It has less than 120 k I hope to see 300 k out of it too .
  17. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

oh yeah the gmc 2500 has 360000 kms on it. i replaced the tranny last winter. and a bunch of other stuff.
  18. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I started out with a shovel on my parents drive and sidewalks.....lol
    Later on my 1st plow rig was a 1976 Blazer with a 7' Western and I have grown the the equip in my sig.
  19. zman300

zman300 Member

Started with an 86 F150 short box 7'6" Western. That was a great truck for getting in tight spots.

Next a 95 Dodge 2500 V10 8' Western Pro Plow. Good plow truck, but really like gas.

Now 06 F250 SC 9'2" Boss V plow. Haven't plowed with it yet. This plow is huge compared to what I'm used to.
  20. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

started shoveling for my uncle he thought I was too young to drive (18) so I bought my own truck 1988 chevy 1-ton 7.6 meyers in 2005 subbed for 2 years with a couple of my own accounts now I have a 06 hd with a boss straight 8 and a 97 gmc 1500 with a 7.6 meyer.