1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What did I just puchase? (pics)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Tweak, May 23, 2008.

1. Tweak

Tweak Junior Member

I bought a 2001 GMC 2500HD and since it was all wired up with this 8' fisher plow, I decided to fork out the extra coin for the plow to be included with the truck.

Let me start out by stating that I have NEVER plowed in my life.. lol :D
    And I know absolutely nothing about it, so I hope to gain a wealth of knowledge here.

I plan only to do my personal driveway and neighbors and friends.. Although this may change once I get familiarized with it.

So here are some pictures of what I bought.

I also have the nifty little joystick controller inside the cab.

My questions are:

1.) What model of fisher plow is this unit? In case I need to buy parts.

2.) What kind of thick paint should I use coat it with to help preserve it? I will wirebrush it with my drill to get rid of the loose rust first.
    It is a little crusty now, but very solid.

3.) $1600 Canadian complete for this, was it a fair price?

4.) Any other info I should know of?

Thanks !!!
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's a Minute Mount 1 with the Insta-act pump, so that's what you want to know when purchasing replacement parts. Probably purchased new near the same time as the truck to give you an idea of it age/model year.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The plow should have plenty of life left. Just scrape off the rust like you said. I'd spray a base coat (primer) and any quality automotive paint ( I don't use Rustoleum, but some guys swear by it). Then a couple coats of a good quality polish and you're set. Make sure the reservoir is full, then hook it up and run it through the functions (up/down; left/right angle) and check for leaks. Look for frayed/split hoses. Fix or replace them now or you'll wish you had. If you need advice, just ask. If you know a boxed end from an open end wrench, you've got enough mechanical knowledge to fix about anything on a Fisher. To diagnose a problem, go to the Fisher website and go to user manual section. If you decide to plow driveways, you should earn your money back in one season.
  4. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Nice, post come pics of the truck too
  5. Tweak

Tweak Junior Member

Thanks for the help guy's,

Here are a few pics of the truck itself... She is a little banged up, but thats what these things are made for :D

It's a 2001 GMC 2500HD with 6.0 vortec. Auto trans.
    Runs great, but Im getting the exhaust manifolds fixed, apparently the heads of the bolts are prone to breaking off on these 6.0L motors...

Other than that she seems like a good work truck.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Very nice buy for the money. You will pay for it quikly. Summer is a great time to get ready for winter.
  7. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

that is a very nice plow truck. keep it maintained and it will last you a long time
  8. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

I didn't see what he paid for the truck. I think he paid 1600 extra for the plow. If he paid 1600 for tuck and plow he stole it.
  9. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

believe it or not that plow isnt in bad shape. scrape it down sand off the rust. put on 2 coats of heavy rust primer. and 2 coats of enamel paint and it will be all set.
  10. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Yep its a MM1

Its the same Plow I got on Tk 4
    Its a sweet plow
  11. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Truck looks nice
  12. Tweak

Tweak Junior Member

Thanks guy's...

1600$ was for the complete plow. Not the truck.. lol

Do I have to paint the plow yellow? I guess what I am asking, is it illegal to have it any other color than yellow?
  13. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

You got a deal. I personally would go and have it sand blasted then repainted. But it does have the removable turkey wings on it. Which is a huge time saver when plowing parking lots.
  14. Bibbo

Bibbo Senior Member

you can paint it any color you want, its not illegal not to paint it yellow but it is a good idea to keep it bright... theres a reason why most plows are bright (fisher-yellow, boss-red western-orange, ect ect) its for visibilty reasons, when its 2 in the morning and snowing like crazy you want people to see you lol. IMO i would keep it fisher yellow, you can order the same paint they use right from them. oh yeah BTW nice truck and plow hope you get a good snow season.payup :D
  15. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Dang that's a nice truck! I will hopefully be able to afford one like that in a few months. That is, if my dodge doesn't keep falling apart! :mad:
  16. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Paint it Fisher Yellow!!!
  17. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

since when is western orange :dizzy: lol
  18. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

I was thinking the same thing
  19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

He got 2 out of 3 right, not bad.

I would keep it the same colour myself. It will help if you ever decide to sell it. Nice truck it should be great for plowing. If you are doing a lot of back dragging you might want to consider a back blade for the plow, Fisher is not one of the best for back dragging.
  20. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

since curtis bought them out. lol (no curtis didnt really buy out western)