1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What de icer works for new concrete??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by kbros, Dec 16, 2009.

1. kbros

kbros Junior Member

New fancy place put in new sidewalks this summer and they do not want any salt on the new concrete. What can I put on the new concrete that will not damage the new concrete?

2. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Torpedo sand is guaranteed not to cause any conflicts. ;)

3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

i here if you take a high pressured garden hose it will wash the ice off the walks :p

:laughing::laughing:

6. beverlylawncare

beverlylawncare Member

I never recommend salt for ANY concrete surface, regardless of age. Most melters (including blends and calcium based) recommend cured concrete of at least 1 year.

I didn't check the link, but thats just my $.02

7. Mattsautobody

Mattsautobody Member

what about beet juice??

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Is everyone from Kentucky against salt and concrete?

9. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I think so....I don't understand their thought process. :dizzy:

10. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I just had a LONG talk with a expert on concrete yesterday..I getting TIRED of reading posts from people that dont have a clue...SALT does NOT hurt concrete...There are many reason concrete cracks, spalls, pops,etc...Poor mix design, Poor installation,Etc are a few reasons concrete fails...NOT SALT or any other ice melter...Proper mixing and installation go a long way to a nice concrete job. Also a soon as you can walk on the slab you should put a cure and seal on it..It will help protect the concrete for a long life..just my 4 cents....:waving:

11. Matson Snow

Where is Mark O....We need his wit here....:drinkup::waving:

12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Just because you're an expert in concrete and have certifications and stuff does not mean you get .04 cents and we only get .02 cents. :rolleyes:

13. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

Dude, this goes against everything i have ever been told. And every drive way i see pitted to hell from salt use. Or the driveway that looks fine everywhere but where the car drips salty water and it's pitted to hell all around the car.

i'm not saying i know for sure....but i have seen some jacked up driveways from using rock salt all over them.

not to mention my father i law ripping his depends open when he saw me salt his cement. :gunsfiring:

14. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Winter + concrete expert + long talk = You must have been in the bar!!!!!!!!!!!!:drinkup:

15. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Why does this happen every couple of weeks...

Salt/ice melt increases the freeze thaw cycle which is the only reason why people see an effect from using these products. It just hastens the inevitable.

16. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Good one! :D

17. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I'm sure they make a jumbo size.............

18. Matson Snow

Explain to me how salt hurts concrete Please...You have seen some jack-up drive ways from Poor concrete or a Poor install.....If the concrete is low on air the concrete will pop..If the concrete is Over finished it will spall...Explain how the DOTs get away with salting highways and roads....The road in front of my house is 23 years old. Its concrete and has been salted for 23 years..Looks Great....So if salt is sooo bad for concrete WHY is this road still around....Properly Cured and Finished concrete will not be hurt by salt...

19. snocrete

snocrete Banned

fixed it for ya ;)

20. Matson Snow

Thank you sir....