1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What cutting edge to choose?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ss502gmc, Nov 2, 2009.

1. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

I have a 8ft MM2 and will be doing street plowing and was thinking i should get the 5/8" x 8" cutting edge instead of the 1/2" x 6" cutting edge. Does everyone agree with this? Some one told me that its overkill and too heavy for the plow so just looking for some opinions!

2. dbduts

dbduts Member

I always use the 5/8 x8 because it wears slower and it lasts longer considering you only get to use a couple of inches of the blade anyway.Just beware not wear your flip board out big money if blade wears down the flip board wears out the part wear your springs bolt on on I seen this happen alot.

3. 04f250xlt

04f250xlt Junior Member

Also do street plowing, past 3 years I have been buying the 5/8 x 6”, usually get a new 1 every season. I found the 5/8 x 8” @ Tucks Trucks in Hudson. I think it was $219.00 it’s a big hunk of steel !!

4. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

HP Fairfaild in worcester is very cheap. He also stocks 3/4" edges! I got my 5/8x8"x9' last year for 170bux i think.

He is cheaper than the online places even before shipping.

PM me if you need more info.

5. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

I've seen it too... you have to be a idiot to let that happen...

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

There's a couple of problems with the 8 inch edge. First, it has 33% more leverage against the trip springs. Only a problem if you are dealing with choppy ice, really. You also want to adjust the holes you mount the a-frame to the headgear so the a-frame is parallel to the ground.

7. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

What we do is double up 2 6 inch blades. They last a lot longer when you just plow streets. If you plan it right you put the front one to the back and put the new one forward. It makes them last a lot longer. Gives you extra weight for back blading

8. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

IMO its a waste of money to keep buying 6" edges...I had one about 5 years ago...wears way too quick...I buy 8" edges at Tucks Trucks for the same price already mentioned above, mount it and I get some 1" stock and cut 1"x 3"x 16" pieces (2) and weld them on the ends of cutting edge, once I weld it on the back of the edge, I figure out the angle and cut away from the strip whatever the angle may be. Slows wear quite a bit, I know someones gonna say its not neccesary, or theres a better way, this is my way and it works, costs me welding rods, nothing more.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Both excellent ideas.

10. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Was talking to a guy yesterday, and I ran that idea by him about welding pieces of steel to it, He says he's a certified welder, and he would never weld to tempered steel. It would heat it up and make it weaker. ??? Same guy bitching about dropping 6,000$ a year on cutting edges... gues he does highways for the state w/ 9 trucks or something.

11. dbduts

dbduts Member

cutting edges

I have a 7.5 fisher on one of my trucks and I took an old edge and bolted a piece of 3 inch angle iron about 10 inches long to it on both ends and then cut about 4 inches of of the top piece of angle iron on one side and bolted it to the back side of plow and use it as a back drag blade works great not the best looking but it was cheap. I willm try to post picture

12. T&M SnowMan

I layer weld the pieces on the back, never had an issue, I do driveways mostly sometimes parking lots, depends on your application, Im never plowing a highway at 30mph...haha...I do driveways at maybe 5mph...My father and grandfather have always used this idea as well, its where I got the idea from. My father used to plow Beverly Airport and Beverly Commons condos and not once has had an issue with the edge weakening... Like I said before, someones going to say that its a bad idea for whatever reason, this guy you were talking to just started it..!!...To each is own.

13. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Oh I agree with you.... Its not like its a structual beam hanging something overhead that will kill someone if the 1% chance of failure, thus the notation in the code book....

Sounds like a good idea to me too... let that fool waste all his money on cutting edges! I also never plow over 5mph.... whats the rush? In a hurry to break something or have an 'incedent'?

14. T&M SnowMan

The Fisher MM2 I have was bought in 2005, I have only needed to replace one angle cylinder hyd hose, and a 6" edge. Since then 8" edge has been good...I have upgraded to newer things but not out of necessity, more because I like my equipment to look respectable. 8" edges are worth the few extra bucks, most bang for your buck

15. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

I plowed for the state of Ma. mostly ramps on the Interstates. Along the shoulders somtimes,park n rides and secondary highways. I always used Fishers' 6 in OEM blades.They are the best steel for such a job. I found places that have the best priceing and bought 4 or five a time.
    I made enough money I didn't cry about buying a good blade. A Fisher tech told me not to use 8 inch. The plow wasn't engineered for it.
    Anyway they are easier to put on and carry for me to boot. I did to to Grade 8 bolts because of the expansion joints I hit on the bridges going 30mph. Brought quite a few OEM grade 5's.

16. T&M SnowMan

as long as you dont mind buying a rediculous amount of cutting edges each plow season go right ahead!..haha...as far as 8" edge not a good idea being used, as long as you dont buy your plow and wear down your trip edge first, you will never have a problem...the guys that run into the problems are the ones wearing down the trip edges before mounting on a cutting edge..I dont agree with this way..I havent had one bolt break or loosen, I run 8" edges....people have been running 8" edges for years and years...but like I said If you have the money, spend it as you will, everyone has their own way, in the end everyone does what works for them....6" edge doesnt do it for me..but maybe it works better on streets, I dont know, wouldnt think so, but I dont do roads, Im sure there will be a few guys chiming in on this.

17. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

I know all of that. I know 8 in. cutting edges weren't cheap either. I weighed this all out and decided what will work for me. I had to find a resonable Fisher OEM edge. That was the hardest part. I found some places that I had to travel to but save tax money and bought in bulk. Weighted until I was in the area to save time and fuel.
    For what the State of Ma. was paying me for running around all day and night with the edge down to pavement and mostly ease of plowing the state ramps,etc. again it was worth it to me. I never had a problem with the plow hydrolics or steel for the 6 seasons. Just headlights shattered from hitting manholes,expansion joints,curbs.The front edge tripped the way it should with the 6 in. blade engineered for it I guess.

18. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

Just picked up my 6" cutter today. $115.**
    1/2" by the way. (new hardware came with it of course)

19. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

If you adjust your plow mounts so you are are level, to accomodate for the extra 2 inches, I'm not sure the 8 is any difference on the trip system than a 6".

Keep in mind, after 2 inches of wear youre down to a 6" anyhow.

Some fishers don't even come with a cutting edge, so what is it engineered for? 6"? None? Both? All of the above but 8" which Fisher doesn't market and sell? (thus they don't recommend) ?

I don't buy it.

The trip will work to specs with an 8". In fact, when I went from a completely spent cutting edge to the 8", I never adjusted anythign different on the plow, and noticed zero change in performance.

This year I've altered my angleds considerably, so I'm curious to see if it trips a little less violently at a more level angle, with 100 % new pins all the way around, and my old ones were originials I'm sure, and they were toast.

They recommend a 6" edge that they make so you need to buy a new one more frequently from them of course. It must be one of the largest money makers once the plow is sold.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The 8 inch edge has a third more leverage against the trip springs than a 6 inch edge. Not a big deal unless you are trying to scrape up spotty ice. Then it will trip nonstop.

So there is a big difference