1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What cutting edge to buy for x blade?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by gtmustang00, Oct 17, 2010.

1. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

What size cutting edge should i buy for my 9ft x blade? Is there a company in nh/ma that sells them?

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Um,...9'?
    Just kidding,probably going to be 1/2" from a dealer,just be sure to use a center punched edge,i've seen the results of a top punched edge on a X blade,tore it all to hell,to much pressure,i'm sure some will tell you it's ok,thats fine,this is what i've seen.

3. gtmustang00

from Berlin

Obviously 9ft lol, I searched and some run the 5/8 versus 1/2 inch and 6 inch vs 8 inch.

4. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

Listen to Arc Burn . Running a larger edge than OEM will cause weld breakage, especially top punched

5. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

you will have to run the 1/2 center punch unless you brace up the bottom area near the trip edge pivots I personally run 5/8x6 top punch on the town roads that I plow with some bracing that I have designed and never a problem for me or any of the other plows that I have braced up I have some pics on here showing the bracing try and search for it

6. Arc Burn

I can't find my pics of the town truck that came in 2 years ago,9'X SS,top punched 6" edge,because they were cheaper:rolleyes:Junk,way to much stress on gravel,No real savings in the endpayup
    IMO-if 5/8 is offered and 6" center punched,thats what i'd use

7. gtmustang00

from Berlin

Is 9 by 1/2 by 6 inch center punched what comes from fisher? I'm going to call around and see if i can get 9 by 5/8 by 6 inch center punched.

8. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

if you find the 5/8 let us know i will buy one. i could never find one. only the 1/2 from dealer, which does not last long at all.

9. Arc Burn

Try your local steel yard for a 5/8 edge

10. gtmustang00

from Berlin

AW Sleeper in Concord, NH has plenty of 5/8 edges. a a 9ft by 5/8 by 6 center punched with a bolt kit is is 162 dollars.

11. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

I will be calling them in the morning. Sounds like a road trip

12. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Atlantic broom in taunton ma will make u any size any thickness u want.

13. gtmustang00

from Berlin

Atlantic broom wants 144 for them and they have to make them (don't have any in stock til next week). I called them today also.

14. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

I buy from atlantic broom also you just need to keep on them as they will get very busy and forget about them

15. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

if you wanted to you could probly stack 2 1/2 inch edges and they would last longer I have run the 5/8 from the beginning that is what the guy put on my plow when I got it with no problems at all I also run curb finders as well the name of the shop is Sarris auto in waltham ma

16. LON

LON Senior Member

have 9ft in stock as well. $108.00 (no bolt kit though). I had 5/8" x 6" center punch blades made back when the X-blade first came out. And YES they are made from 1084 material for longevity.

17. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

Where are u located? I am using my phone so it is hard to read on the screen.

18. gtmustang00

from Berlin

LON

19. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

I guess I won't be buying from u.

20. LON

LON Senior Member

not a problem.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010